Spoiled? or something more?

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our one Katahdin ewe has recently started pacing back and forth by the fence gate, baaaaing constantly. Walks back and forth back and forth. I thought maybe she was hungry so I went down to the barn to check, plenty of food and water. As soon as I walked down there she came up to me, i gave her some pats sat with her a little while then left. As soon as I started walking back up to the house she started up again. Any ideas? I don't understand what she is trying to tell me. When I'm down there with her she is quiet, as soon as we leave she is back to making noise.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
She could be in heat, is she supposed to be cycling? Spoiled is also a good possibility! But monitor them closely, sometimes mine get like that when a flock member has health problems--kind of like a Lassie sheep. If I recall, you only have two girls? Or are there more?

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nope just the two ewes currently! Could that be a problem? do they need more friends?

Cher

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have two young ewes that do this as well. They're a suffolk/romney cross and they can be loud. They are vocal when they hear or see me. They know when it's getting near the time to head back to the barn for the night. They pace and Baaaa. I ignore them until its the actual time not their time ..lol. They also let me know when they're not happy with the hay. lol When I first got them, it was very loud some days... but they've settled nicely now and know the routine. I sometimes "talk back" to them and say " it's okay, I am here"and they go back to grazing in the pasture. I think they bonded strongly to me as I am the feeder and comfort after being removed from the flock they knew before I got them. In the beginning it was stressful as I thought I was doing something wrong but they've settled down. After talking with other sheep owners, I've been told some are just more vocal. Have you had them awhile? I did notice them acting a bit more needy for a few days last week and I thought perhaps they were going through their first heat cycle. It could be that as well.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have had them for about 2 months now, maybe a little more.