spooky pony

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We adopted a 12 .2h pony last fall. Cricket has calmed down a lot but is still afraid and will bolt at times. We roached her mane and forelock so she can see. I believe that helped a lot. She was raised by an older woman and left in a small paddock with 2 other ponies until a year ago. She is about 7. She is a very good companion to our cow but grandkids would love lead line rides. She has been saddled and ridden a couple times in a ring by an adult. She spooks irregularly so am not sure the cause. I got hurt last fall so training will start again this spring. (Pony did not hurt me)She is beautiful and I hope that we can get this pony to have a good future. Wondering if blinders would help or hinder? I used to use the product "calm em" on an appy who acted similar and helped a lot. Can't find a silimar product any suggestions seem to recall thiamine a major ingredient. Any advice. She seems nervous I am thinking metabolic or eyesight issues.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/1685_cricketonyard.jpg

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lavender oil is supposed to be good for calming.

I would try to find a trainer to take her on, although given her size, many probably will say that they can't ride her. However, I am 5'2" and ride my daughter's 12hh pony quite often (once her in her pony saddle which was quite uncomfortable). The pony is probably testing you and some mileage will help, but only with someone who won't let her get away with anything but won't beat if she is genuinely afraid.

Daughter's pony gets quite bull-headed at times. At 4-H last year, my stepdaughter was riding my mare at one end of the arena and pony decided she wanted to be with her, so she bolted with my daughter. I had to get on and work pony--while in a 15" inch English saddle--and then schooled my daughter but pony did learn that she couldn't do it.

allbyme

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was really surprised that there were not many posts here to help your pony and family. I hope I'm not to late ! Ground work is just as crucial to pony's as to horses. P;ease purchase some beginners ground work dvd's or watch some videos on youtube! Blinders would probably be one of the worst ideas for your pony. Exposure to this great big world out here is important for her to learn how to safely react thru her fears. Take your time with her, good things happen slowly-it's always the bad stuff that happens fast.;)

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am experienced and actually have trained several horses including 3 difficult pmu foals one a confirmed kicker which I corrected. This pony although we have been working on manners and despooking seems to still have issues. I know it is harder because she is older. Unfortunately the person that had her short term before me longed the daylights out of her so I having to rebuild her trust. We still have snow here but plan to get working with her more soon. It was a huge issue to get her to wait for us to unhitch the lead rope for turnout even? She is tons better. Keep throwing ideas at me any thoughts on supplementation. She is fat on hay only and mineral salt block. I do give her 1/2 cup of grain as a treat occasionally. I am a bit big for her but intend to ride her to train her. I have ridden smaller.

Latest posts