Spot pig for showing?

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello guys!! I’m probably going to be getting a barrow to show this fair and was wondering what y’all thought of the one I’m looking at getting. If I do get him, he will be registered and stuff, so I want to make sure I’m paying for something good. Thanks for any help!!

Here he is! I can post pictures of the parents Too!
5DBEF361-7993-432A-9B6C-B24DC3D1FF68.png
849FC862-F453-428C-B701-5D2A6443C8BB.jpeg
1DA12878-0F9A-4CCA-BF2F-EB94FC940C15.jpeg
FB990768-AFB9-4357-BFB8-2582E14AB420.jpeg

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never was good at judging pigs. :idunno

So I would just look the parents over for obvious conformational issues..

And check him for good basic conformation, and then health, of course.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I never was good at judging pigs. :idunno

So I would just look the parents over for obvious conformational issues..

And check him for good basic conformation, and then health, of course.
I’d probably not be going to see him, he would meet up. Do you know if Heavy spotted of the spot breed is a disqualification?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’d probably not be going to see him, he would meet up. Do you know if Heavy spotted of the spot breed is a disqualification?
No idea.

Can you find a wepage for the breed?

It should have their standard of perfection on there, with a list of how points are distributed, and what things are disqualifications.

You definitely want to find that before you buy the piglet.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No idea.

Can you find a wepage for the breed?

It should have their standard of perfection on there, with a list of how points are distributed, and what things are disqualifications.

You definitely want to find that before you buy the piglet.
Ok thank you!!!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since he is a barrow, the registration papers should not be a big deal.... unless it is a purebred show to "prove" out a specific boar or sow or something. I never got into showing pigs... I had Hampshires, Durocs, a few Berkshires, and a couple white yorkshires and chester whites. Also a few of the heritage breeds over they years. The "breed " they now called Spotted was called spotted Poland China's originally. They are very similar in type. I believe that they are supposed to be about 50% black and 50% white so the pig you are looking at seems to be about right. Long bodied and good legs and a straight smooth back are important. There are rules and regs for showing in 4-H and FFA so you would have to know what is allowed and required. He looks to have a nice long body, but of course can't see how he stands on his feet. Make sure they guarantee his health.... I am assuming you are getting him from out of state? He will need vet papers to cross state lines I believe....Healthy is the NUMBER ONE important thing.

Good luck and stick around with us and let us follow your progress....

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Since he is a barrow, the registration papers should not be a big deal.... unless it is a purebred show to "prove" out a specific boar or sow or something. I never got into showing pigs... I had Hampshires, Durocs, a few Berkshires, and a couple white yorkshires and chester whites. Also a few of the heritage breeds over they years. The "breed " they now called Spotted was called spotted Poland China's originally. They are very similar in type. I believe that they are supposed to be about 50% black and 50% white so the pig you are looking at seems to be about right. Long bodied and good legs and a straight smooth back are important. There are rules and regs for showing in 4-H and FFA so you would have to know what is allowed and required. He looks to have a nice long body, but of course can't see how he stands on his feet. Make sure they guarantee his health.... I am assuming you are getting him from out of state? He will need vet papers to cross state lines I believe....Healthy is the NUMBER ONE important thing.

Good luck and stick around with us and let us follow your progress....
Thank you!! Unfortunately the took him to the action, so now I’m looking for another one. I’d like my barrow to be registered because in a few years I’ll be 18 and when I am, I have to only show registered animals.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s too bad. He was a nice pig. Hope you find another one.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That’s too bad. He was a nice pig. Hope you find another one.
Thank you! I’m trying, but not many people are getting back to me. I did find this one person, let me post pictures of the pigs!!

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
5E8870A9-D017-4C3E-96A2-E7512425C314.png
761467B1-2352-4387-8048-2E4317DD9315.png
This is a boar Iike, what do y’all think?

Last edited:

Latest posts