Spot pig for showing?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know nothing about showing pigs. Don’t they get too big to keep showing? I’m thinking a 800 pound pig might not be too popular in the show ring. What about getting a gilt, so you could raise your own piglets?

Barrows are raised up for show, then slaughter. It sounds like you might get too attached to sell or slaughter your barrow.

Super nice hams. I love the big floppy ears. I’ve only raised feeder pigs, I prefer the heritage breeds.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know nothing about showing pigs. Don’t they get too big to keep showing? I’m thinking a 800 pound pig might not be too popular in the show ring. What about getting a gilt, so you could raise your own piglets?

Barrows are raised up for show, then slaughter. It sounds like you might get too attached to sell or slaughter your barrow.

Super nice hams. I love the big floppy ears. I’ve only raised feeder pigs, I prefer the heritage breeds.
I don’t want a gilt because she will be more expensive and I don’t have the right stuff to raise my own piglets. With the barrow I plan to show him and keep showing him.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here’s another one. Out of the two, which looks better?
75171215-42B1-47CD-BB05-270B9E627F73.jpeg
C043DE85-A7AA-4528-8ED3-1F4DCC7ADC89.jpeg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Both are nicer than the one you originally looked at in my opinion.

You won't be able to show the barrow for more than one season... he will get too big. Hogs never stop growing through their entire adult life. You can control the weight gain some, but the body continues to grow... not just get fatter but the whole body. There are weight requirements for different classes and such. I like the bodies of these better... either would be okay in my book. You also need to check as boars are usually not allowed to be shown so once you make it a barrow, there are no options but eating or selling it.

Are these the ones bred to have the "double hams" ???

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

You won't be able to show the barrow for more than one season... he will get too big. Hogs never stop growing through their entire adult life. You can control the weight gain some, but the body continues to grow... not just get fatter but the whole body. There are weight requirements for different classes and such. I like the bodies of these better... either would be okay in my book. You also need to check as boars are usually not allowed to be shown so once you make it a barrow, there are no options but eating or selling it.

Are these the ones bred to have the "double hams" ???
Ok thank you! He will cut soon if I decide to get him. What do you mean by “double hams”?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

That’s what I thought.

Show your pig, enjoy him and the whole experience, just know that you can’t keep him. Sell him or put him in the freezer and be proud of providing excellent meat for your family. That is what farming is for, raising food. Then get another one and have fun all over again.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That’s what I thought.

Show your pig, enjoy him and the whole experience, just know that you can’t keep him. Sell him or put him in the freezer and be proud of providing excellent meat for your family. That is what farming is for, raising food. Then get another one and have fun all over again.
Why can’t I keep him?