Spot pig for showing?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are some breeders that have bred show pigs that have a double muscled rear... so the hams look like they are twice as big as the normal ones. I was very surprised to see them a few years back... There is a gene that occurs in every animal that controls the muscling... there are a few breeds of cattle that have been bred for the double muscling for years.... they can get extreme and look really weird but the ones that don't go to extremes are very beefy... like the "hulk" . I have seen them in the Hampshires and some in white breeds. I understood that they were very popular in the show ring back 5-10 years ago.
I like a real nice round rump and hams... but not to such extreme that they look weird. Also the double muscling can cause problems with pigs being born and such. Not for amateurs to be messing with. They are wide and can get stuck in the birthing process.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There are some breeders that have bred show pigs that have a double muscled rear... so the hams look like they are twice as big as the normal ones. I was very surprised to see them a few years back... There is a gene that occurs in every animal that controls the muscling... there are a few breeds of cattle that have been bred for the double muscling for years.... they can get extreme and look really weird but the ones that don't go to extremes are very beefy... like the "hulk" . I have seen them in the Hampshires and some in white breeds. I understood that they were very popular in the show ring back 5-10 years ago.
I like a real nice round rump and hams... but not to such extreme that they look weird. Also the double muscling can cause problems with pigs being born and such. Not for amateurs to be messing with. They are wide and can get stuck in the birthing process.
Ok! No, I don’t believe they are double ham!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can keep the barrow... but for what good reason. He will eat and become too big to show and then what? He will be too big to be a pet, and his heart will eventually give out...
I had a Duroc boar that I used to breed a couple of sows that I had. He belonged to another guy and he let me borrow him for a few weeks when I needed to breed the girls. The last time I had him, he said to take him to auction when I was done as he was getting too big and can hurt the females when mounting to breed. I had big sows... older.... that weighed 4-500 lbs and when I finally took him to sell, he was 905 lbs.... gentle as a lamb... but WAY TOO BIG to be breeding anymore. They never stop growing... not like they grow up and stay that size... hogs continue to grow their entire life...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
By the pictures I don't think they are double muscled either... They are nicer pigs than the earlier one... I just don't know what the judges are looking for in show animals now. I know what I want in a hog but I am a little more old fashioned than the current trends... they like them more long and lean for more bacon and less fat... I like some lard on my hogs but not "fatty"....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why can’t I keep him?
Because he can and will grow up to and over 1,000 pounds. They never stop growing. Never.

We bought an 820 pound boar because he got too big to breed the sows and because he got so big, that he was dangerous. He was gentle, but wanted to “love” on his owner. He wanted to rub on her, which knocked her down. A hog that big can turn on someone and injure or kill. Getting knocked down puts one on the level of food. Pigs eat meat. Remember that.

We bought him for $100, fed him soured corn , hay and treats for about 2 months to clean up the meat and took him to slaughter.

A barrow that reaches hundreds of pounds is no longer a pet.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
By the pictures I don't think they are double muscled either... They are nicer pigs than the earlier one... I just don't know what the judges are looking for in show animals now. I know what I want in a hog but I am a little more old fashioned than the current trends... they like them more long and lean for more bacon and less fat... I like some lard on my hogs but not "fatty"....
Ok! I will try and get more pictures of both to see which is Better.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Because he can and will grow up to and over 1,000 pounds. They never stop growing. Never.

We bought an 820 pound boar because he got too big to breed the sows and because he got so big, that he was dangerous. He was gentle, but wanted to “love” on his owner. He wanted to rub on her, which knocked her down. A hog that big can turn on someone and injure or kill. Getting knocked down puts one on the level of food. Pigs eat meat. Remember that.

We bought him for $100, fed him soured corn , hay and treats for about 2 months to clean up the meat and took him to slaughter.

A barrow that reaches hundreds of pounds is no longer a pet.
Ok, thank you!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wilbur

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
By all means, raise and show your barrow. Brush him, spoil him and enjoy him. Just know that after showing, he goes to auction or the freezer. Go hug or pet him goodbye and sit down and have a good cry, because you will love him. Sometimes reality sucks, but it must be faced. Then get another pig and show again the next year.

Will this be 4-H or FFA?

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
By all means, raise and show your barrow. Brush him, spoil him and enjoy him. Just know that after showing, he goes to auction or the freezer. Go hug or pet him goodbye and sit down and have a good cry, because you will love him. Sometimes reality sucks, but it must be faced. Then get another pig and show again the next year.

Will this be 4-H or FFA?
It will be 4-H

Latest posts