Spot pig for showing?

cherrynberry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I also plan to show a pig in my 4H county fair this year. Side, top, and back/front profile pictures are best for judging conformation. And yes, barrows can’t be shown again, a year later. You can, however, auction him off any time. Pigs can and will gain 1-2lbs a day if allowed. When judging pigs, ALWAYS start from the bottom up. The feet are the most important. Muscle can be worked at, skin/hair can be worked at, but bone density/structure can’t.

When is your fair? How heavy are the shoats you are looking at?

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking at the pasterns, he doesn't look bad. He might be a tad back on them, but I would rather that then the opposite. He looks good to me on the leg structure.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I also plan to show a pig in my 4H county fair this year. Side, top, and back/front profile pictures are best for judging conformation. And yes, barrows can’t be shown again, a year later. You can, however, auction him off any time. Pigs can and will gain 1-2lbs a day if allowed. When judging pigs, ALWAYS start from the bottom up. The feet are the most important. Muscle can be worked at, skin/hair can be worked at, but bone density/structure can’t.

When is your fair? How heavy are the shoats you are looking at?
My fair is in September! I’m not sure how heavy they are.

cherrynberry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My fair is in September! I’m not sure how heavy they are.
What date? If you get a pig that’s too light, you’re really gonna need to make sure it’s eating. Make sure to have ivermectin (injectable) and safeguard. Personally, I deworm every 30 days. Have you ever given a hog a shot? Well, it’s not easy and they will scream and run. Might be a good idea to have helpers and a snare. I like to give electrolytes in their water for the first couple of days after their move. Make sure you have a good rice brush and a soft brush. The rice brush is a MUST. Not sure what you can find in your area, but I really love leave-in conditioners. My favorite being Pink. Shampoo can be any soft baby shampoo. Wash your pig on warmer days and brush every day. I condition whenever the pig’s skin looks dry. You also need access to a pig weight….guessing isn’t really a good idea. Do you know what your fair weight minimum-maximum is? What class are you aiming to show in? Oh and walking…an absolute MUST. I can’t stress this enough. Make sure you are walking your pig and getting it used to a show stick (use the same brand you are bringing to fair). I am currently walking my pig an hour a day, but I slowly worked up to it. The show stick is not meant to hurt them, just annoy them enough to get a response. Make sure you look at show ring rules. I recommend going to a pig show before your fair just to get a feel for what it’s like. Having a show pig is a lot of work, but one of the most rewarding things ever. Heck, this is my first year and I am already obsessed with hogs. It’s an obsession I didn’t think I would have. Really gonna miss my gilt.

Wishing you the best! Good luck on your showing journey.

Latest posts