spraying buck

Ebers

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a buck that I recently bought along with a couple of does. I was feeding him the other day & I thought he spit water at me, well I was feeding this evening & it happened again. I smelled it & realized he had peed on me from 5 feet away. Is this something a lot of bucks do or is he freaked out or what's the deal?

Ebers

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is there anything I can do to fix it? Do all bucks do it? I don't want him spraying my kids

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
welcome to world of bucks! There's a reason castrating is a must if you want a pet. Ours peed on my friend's foot when she was wearing flip flops, serves her right for wearing thongs on a farm!

Ebers

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is it a territorial issue or an assertion of dominance?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is a buck marking his territory. Some aren't bad about it, with others, it's like a hobby. Young bucks tend to be worse about it than older animals; maybe the older ones are more comfortable with their "buckness?" I have had a few bucks that would do it whenever I came near their cages, particularly in the springtime. I had a Jersey Wooly once that I had to be careful with. When I was brushing Woolies, I had to make sure that anything that went on the grooming table before him was a buck; if he smelled doe smell on the table, he would write "Ziggie was here" across the front of my shirt! Others have had the opposite problem - a buck that was fine about smelling a doe, but if another buck had been there, they felt a need to "cover" it.

Then there was the buck named Wizard. He went to his first show with some friends of mine. I don't know what inspired this crazy rabbit, but he sprayed the judge! My friends were mortified, but the judge just shrugged it off. When he placed the class, he looked in the rabbits' ears to read the ear numbers to the writer. When he saw Wizard's ear, which read WIZ, he laughed and said, "Well, it's not like I wasn't warned!"

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thats interesting I knew male dogs di that but did not expect rabbits.

Ebers

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yep kinda surprised me too I wasn't very happy when it happened.

Ebers

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If I seperate him from the does will it help? I'd like to avoid beeing peed on if possibly lol

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the only thing that I have found to be any real help is making sure that the buck's cage is low enough that, when he does it, he can't shoot me in the face.:barnie

Latest posts