Standing heat? (hope not!)

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This morning I've seen Bridgit, our 3-year old first calf heifer, stand no fewer than six times for T-Bone, the 6.5-mo old bull calf (not hers). Is there *anything* other than heat that would give her cause to stand for him? I've never seen her let him mount her before, especially this many times. The bull was here for over 16 weeks and has been gone a month and a half...I will be very disappointed if she's not bred back. I can't imagine we'll want a bull here again so soon (Tabor was a pain in the butt), and we're having to feed haylage again as our grass isn't growing well (28 day dry streak here).

Thoughts?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, but, it sounds like she's in heat, to me. :hugs

I'd still have the vet check her. Every once-in-awhile you get one that will still show heat when bred. We have one that did that this time around. I wouldn't count on it though.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Sorry I have to agree with Kitty!

Is Sheila paying any attention to her?

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Awww crap. Well, I saw her stand for Sheila (lead cow) to mount her several times, too. I'm really bummed...not sure what we'll do now. Grrr.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Sorry Amy.
I will be bummed with you!
We are shipping our bull out soon, right now he's after my Shorty cow, I am pretty sure she should already be bred. Hubby says if she comes in heat again, she will leave with the bull.

We need to find a local AI guy! You won't have to mess with a bull and few of my cows might for some unknown reason accidently have calves with big ears!