Star will be 3 weeks old monday i think ive got problem

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My problem is star is her moms first kid and shes not producing enough milk her utter is only swollen on one side the other is close to her body the side that is a little swollen is only about the size of a baseball and she kicks star off after about 3 seconds of feeding her star is getting bigger shes nibbling on hay and grass and drinks water out of the water bowl i have tried bottle feeding her but she just wants mommas milk but momma doesnt have it what should i do?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The larger side is probably what the kid has NOT been nursing off.
The smaller side is the one she has.
She may be kicking her off because that side is now engorged and painful. You may need to hold her and either milk a little out to relieve pressure then let kid nurse from that side even if you have to hold her or just hold the mom and see if the kid can do it.

Often with singles they will nurse on one side.

Reactions: TAH

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
If Star is active, eating and growing, she is probably ok.

One of my sheep's first lamb never seemed to take more than a 'sip' of milk at a time, I didn't even think he latched on long enough to get anything. But he did. That same sheep had twins last year, and she never let them nurse longer than 8 to 10 seconds - those lambs learned to drink as fast as they could! They also grew well, and were my two biggest lambs last year.

Signs that Star is not getting enough to drink would be constant crying, constant trying to nurse, looking thin, and a cold mouth.

I see SBC posted as I was typing - good advice, too!

Reactions: TAH