Starting a goat dairy herd

Kimerzde

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi I'm Kim and I'm just starting a dairy herd. I've decided on nubians or LA Manchas. I'm on 3 waiting lists, but what else should I do to get prepared.

This weekend I'm fixing the fencing for the goat pasture. Metal fencing with ele tric so no climbing. I have dedicated 2 large 15x15 stalls for nights. (I live in Michigan and there are serious predators so I want to lock up at night)

Any suggestions? Or concerns for me?

caprines.n.me

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Fantastic! I hope you enjoy your gals as much as I do. First and foremost, please buy from a tested herd!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome.

I assume you are saying this is a dairy herd for you personal milk use. Since you have no goats now, be sure you buy types that you can test milk the doe and sample the milk. The various breeds do produce milk with different taste. While what they eat can affect taste, the basic is just a breed thing. Volume produced is the next factor to consider. Just my thoughts as I do have and milk dairy goats.

What brought you to decision of nubian or la mancha? Curious.

caprines.n.me

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Fencing is no fun - but have a great weekend working on it! How big do you plan on going with your dairy?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The does you are buying, are they already in milk?

But, I second the disease testing.

You want to buy disease free animals. Ideally, the herd you buy from should be a closed herd and should have been tested within the year for:
Johne's, CL, and CAE

Other than that... I love a goat with a long lactation (as in years), and super easy to milk teats.

It is nice if they can be wormed shortly before coming onto your property... just to try to keep your local parasite load a bit lower.

Latest posts