Staying Warm in Vermont!

HumbleAcresMomma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Jessica. I'm a homesteading, homeschooling mother of 4 children, 2 cats, 1 beagle, 25 chickens, and 24 rabbits currently. Our family is having our first homesteading trial with pigs this spring! My husband is most definitely all for the pigs....some day I want goats. I love the Backyard Chickens site and wanted a place to learn more about the other farm livestock! I don't know about you all but farming and working with the animals makes me feel at peace, like I was meant for the lifestyle? I look forward to following all of your stories and learn so much more!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Jessica. I'm a homesteading, homeschooling mother of 4 children, 2 cats, 1 beagle, 25 chickens, and 24 rabbits currently. Our family is having our first homesteading trial with pigs this spring! My husband is most definitely all for the pigs....some day I want goats. I love the Backyard Chickens site and wanted a place to learn more about the other farm livestock! I don't know about you all but farming and working with the animals makes me feel at peace, like I was meant for the lifestyle? I look forward to following all of your stories and learn so much more!
Howdy and welcome to BYC!!!

I have 5... all homeschooled, ages are 12 to 22... so currently homeschooling 3.

Nothing better than the kids having to do animal chores.

Pigs STINK to high heaven and beyond! But I do love bacon and pork chops. :hu

Goats are great but desperately need excellent fencing.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pigs don't stink if you can give them enough room to have their own bathroom area.... I had 12 sows that I used to farrow and they didn't smell any worse than the cows...... they have their own odor... and if you want to smell something that "stinks".... a wet sheep with a full wool coat.....and a male goat in breeding season.... now that stinks....

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I raise feeder pigs every year and they have a large pen, plus a shelter. They use one corner to poop in and there is seldom a smell. They make a lot of meat!
Really? How do you make the poo not stink? (Or should I have stuck that question in a new thread?)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Probably the most important thing is for it to be dry. If they are in a small pen and it is a mud hole, it is going to stink to high Heavens. That's why for the bigger pen, so they can poop in their bathroom area. Then they can have a mud hole-away from the stinky poop.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome!! Yes most of us have or have had many animals. I had American guinea hogs and they did not have a big smell. Worse ever, a little pygmy buck in rut!! Worse than any large goat buck I've ever been near.

We will certainly encourage all animals. You'll find more pro/cons her from people who have BTDT, not just read the book. 😁. Dairy goats here...get some! Fun animals.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Probably the most important thing is for it to be dry. If they are in a small pen and it is a mud hole, it is going to stink to high Heavens. That's why for the bigger pen, so they can poop in their bathroom area. Then they can have a mud hole-away from the stinky poop.
Ah... then that is my issue...

Here it is frozen... or wet.

Latest posts