Steaks or burger?

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Ok, I've decided to cull a few!
At what age are they considered good steaks vs burger?

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
2 years is when we normally do ours. If we want nice juicy marbled steak then we grain them up. If we want lean burger then we only grass feed.
The farmer we buy and sell hay from have us a yearling angus heifer that was only grass fed. Her burger was soooo nice and lean :drool

BTW thewife, where in WA are you?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We've butchered older cows. The one in the freezer right now milked a few lactations first. We kept her confined into a smaller area and fed her a little extra corn for a few weeks before we sent her off. She was half belgiun blue and is nice and lean. Good eating too. :drool To bad I have hamburger out. You have me hungry for grilled steak now! :)

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
2 that I feel should go, are just over 2 years old, but they both have calves on them?

I only grain them if who ever is buying them, wants them grained, otherwise they just get grass.

Hi bheila
I'm kinda by Yelm.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
thewife said:
Hi bheila
I'm kinda by Yelm.
It's beautiful down there. We get our hay from Chehalis. I can smell the fields being cut now :p

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
bheila said:
thewife said:
Hi bheila
I'm kinda by Yelm.
It's beautiful down there. We get our hay from Chehalis. I can smell the fields being cut now :p
You haul hay from Chehalis to Kent?
I always thought hauling from Chehalis to here, was too far!

We just put our first hay of the year in the barn!
Between the fresh hay smell and the lumber smell from my new loft, I think I have the best smelling barn around!

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
thewife-Ahhhh, there's nothing better then the smell of fresh lumber, fresh hay and fresh bread!

We buy and sell hay. We've been buying from one farmer for about 5 years. We sell anywhere from 12,000-15,000 bales a year. It's our main source of income and we love doing it. Here's a pic of what we sell. I'll stop hijacking your thread now :rolleyes:
PC100073.jpg

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
bheila said:
thewife-Ahhhh, there's nothing better then the smell of fresh lumber, fresh hay and fresh bread!

We buy and sell hay. We've been buying from one farmer for about 5 years. We sell anywhere from 12,000-15,000 bales a year. It's our main source of income and we love doing it. Here's a pic of what we sell. I'll stop hijacking your thread now :rolleyes:
I don't mind the hijack!
This thread is mostly concerning 2 heifers that are the last calves out of 2 of my favorite cows. I REEEEALLLLY don't want to beef them, but I gotta face reality sometimes.(or so Hubby says)
If everybody agrees they can be good steaks, then that is what they will be!

Thats some pretty hay!
Do you sell your hay out of Kent?

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yup, your heifers will be good for steaks or hamburger. We grill so much this time of year. I even mix in some ground pork with my lean hamburger. My husbands really spoiled :D

We mostly sell our hay in Enumclaw, Buckley, Auburn, Maple Valley and Kent. We have a few customers up north who don't want to pay $400 a ton for hay :ep so they call us. Hay prices can be so ridiculous if you don't know where to look. The other thing I hate is the stereo type about E Wash hay versus W Wash hay. There are some really uneducated people out there.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
an older cow id grind into berger.an 1 under 3 id see what the butcher suggested.