Stiffness in buckling!!! Need help ASAP!!!!

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello, I really need help. My sister has a 6 month old buckling and I’ve noticed he looks a little stiff and his gate is off. He hasn’t got his C.D.T shot yet, so we will be giving that to him and his sister soon. Anyone have any suggestions? We are trying to sell this beautiful boy, but need him in top shape because we definitely don’t want to sell a sick goat to someone!! I don’t think it’s CAE… I’ve see it in other goats and it doesn’t look to be it, I could be totally wrong though!! Please help me figure out what’s wrong!!!!

Dandy Hill Farm

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

What is his temp? Is he eating and drinking fine? Normal poop? Acting normal? Could he have gotten hurt causing him to walk stiff/weird? What is his famacha score?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Check his feet and evaluate if he's been in an area with deer. Also, how is your area for selenium? Any chance it's a deficiency? Or an injury?

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

What is his temp? Is he eating and drinking fine? Normal poop? Acting normal? Could he have gotten hurt causing him to walk stiff/weird? What is his famacha score?
I’m not sure what his temp is. He is eating, drinking, pooping (normal), etc. He was moved in with our other bucks when he was smaller and they’d mount and head but him, that’s the only injury I can think of.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Check his feet and evaluate if he's been in an area with deer. Also, how is your area for selenium? Any chance it's a deficiency? Or an injury?
I don’t think it’s his area or a deficiency. They haven’t had minerals for a little bit though.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well we're giving suggestions. Give them good minerals! Is it all feet/legs or just one, just front, etc? Have you separated him? Could you, to watch, for a few days, to monitor actual eating, etc? Could be injury or? When was he wormed? How long has this been happening?

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well we're giving suggestions. Give them good minerals! Is it all feet/legs or just one, just front, etc? Have you separated him? Could you, to watch, for a few days, to monitor actual eating, etc? Could be injury or? When was he wormed? How long has this been happening?
It’s both back legs and a front, we could separate him for a little bit, but I don’t know how he’ll do being lonely. I’m wondering if maybe the bucks he’s with hurt him, he was pretty small when he was put in the buck pen. The other bucks would mount him 24/7 and head but him a lot!! I don’t think he’s been wormed because it hasn’t been needed. I’ve noticed it for 3 days, but I don’t go out there often, they are my sisters goats.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s both back legs and a front, we could separate him for a little bit, but I don’t know how he’ll do being lonely. I’m wondering if maybe the bucks he’s with hurt him, he was pretty small when he was put in the buck pen. The other bucks would mount him 24/7 and head but him a lot!! I don’t think he’s been wormed because it hasn’t been needed. I’ve noticed it for 3 days, but I don’t go out there often, they are my sisters goats.
It could very likely be an injury then...

You would have to feel him all over very carefully, see if you find anything, or if he hurts in any specific spot.

Taking his temperature would be very helpful, since that would help determine if it is illness or injury.

If you think he is worth it... a vet visit would be in order.

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It could very likely be an injury then...

You would have to feel him all over very carefully, see if you find anything, or if he hurts in any specific spot.

Taking his temperature would be very helpful, since that would help determine if it is illness or injury.

If you think he is worth it... a vet visit would be in order.
I did feel him over this morning and he didn’t seem to be in pain. I’ll take his temperature tomorrow because it’s now dark, thank you for your help! I was thinking a vet visit would be best, but wanted to see what y’all thought!