Stinky.....

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The vet came out and banded our 800lb bull about 3 weeks ago. I noticed yesterday when I went out to pet him that his nuts smell bad...Like a stinky abscess. They look like any other banding we've done here, except they smell. I sprayed some iodine where the raw spots are. Nothings oozing or dripping. Should I be giving him any antibiotics or?

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I bought a Calicrate bander to do older bulls. Going to do my first ones soon. I have read about the stench and that many people are now putting slits in the scrotum for drainage when they band. I really want to know what the vet says if you call him.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Going to put a call into the vet on Monday. The bander he used really put the squeeze on them. He said someone came up with design after no one could find a bander that would fit a 2000lb bull. Nothing compared to the bander I got from Jeffer's. I'm sure glad we had it done before fly season here. Will let you know what the vet says.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
animalfarm said:
I bought a Calicrate bander to do older bulls. Going to do my first ones soon. I have read about the stench and that many people are now putting slits in the scrotum for drainage when they band. I really want to know what the vet says if you call him.
Looks just like the one our vet used. I was amazed at how tight me made it. He just kept tightening and tightening and tightening :hide

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
bheila said:
animalfarm said:
Looks just like the one our vet used. I was amazed at how tight me made it. He just kept tightening and tightening and tightening :hide
There is a little sliding nob in a slot on the bander. You are supposed to crank until that nob gets from one end of the slot to the other. Supposed be the correct tension every time or so says the advertising.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is precisely why I never use any kind of banding procedures. I would hate to have any of my body parts "rot off". Also, I have customers who have had nasty infections in their steers, not to mention fly/maggot problems when they banded during the wrong season. I far prefer the burdizzo on large bull calves, and I cut the smaller ones that we don't keep for breeding stock. Of course, no method is foolproof, but IMHO, banding is not something I would ever do.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The vet said to just keep it clean with iodine and make sure it doesn't get any worse. I definitely like the short time it's taken for it to almost fall off completely. It's taken half the time as the other banders we've used.

Latest posts