Stock dog

James case

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello to all IAM James IAM looking for a live stock Guardian dog I raise exotic poultry and got hit by some type of animal 17 dead so if anyone knows of a female that needs a good home please contact me

Jenny jz

Just born
Reaction score
My name is Jenny I also got hit but I lost 22 birds total.i caught the bob cat in the cage and it came under the fence.it dug in .were in lancaster calf just 3000 ft from the burned forest.

James case

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss I know how you feel

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may have to get a puppy and train it. Be aware that LGD's do not bond to poultry, but they will consider poultry to be "theirs" like their territory is "theirs". A puppy will chase and maybe kill poultry, so they need good supervision. My 12 year old Great Pyrenees was a free throw away because she killed chickens. Her owners messed her up and she hated chickens. It took me 2 years to turn her around, and she became a fantastic chicken guard.

I have a 10 month old Anatolian that I am training to not chase/kill/eat the chickens. It is a work in progress. She now wants in the coop when I feed them, she sniffs around, eats a little feed while I praise her profusely.

James case

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I understand. I have a male ppd dog and he doesn't take to my birds but he listens but he sleeps in my room so I needs female to look after my birds

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not training my female Anatolian to be a poultry guard, although that will just naturally happen as I teach her not to consider them as squeaky toys. We have had a momentous "meeting" over that........ LOL She is mainly a sheep guard, but ultimately will protect the whole farm. We have 2 Great Pyrenees, 2 Anatolians and 1 big black Lab/Great Dane cross. My female Great Pyrenees, Paris, is a fierce protector, even stalks and kills snakes. She hates snakes! She hates just about everything and everybody, is safe with poultry and the sheep.

Being a chicken killer, Paris took some extra special patience and training. I kept the chickens in their coop and run, she patrolled around them. Since they were in her yard, they gradually became her property. When we moved here and got sheep, she just wanted to chase and maul them. So we built a lamb pen in her yard, once again, they became "hers" by location in her yard and over time she accepted them. She is now safe with ewes giving birth and will even lead me to a ewe with new lambs.

Have you ever had a LGD? You might want to look on Craigslist, every once in awhile, someone has sold out of their goats/sheep and has a wonderful dog that they want to find a good home for. It's a long shot, but worth a try.