Stolen Texas LGDs turn up in Arkansas Rescue

Wisher1000

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just got a call from a very excited friend.

You see, last year her LGDs were stolen from her fenced property. She knew they were stolen because a fence panel had been removed to gain access. She was devastated and vowed to find her dogs. She filed a report with law enforcement and pressed them to follow up. She rode around for hours and hours for weeks on end, asking people for information and following up on every lead. Some of those leads lead her into unsavory areas of Texas and uncomfortably close to illegal activities. She put posts on Facebook and other social media. She registered them on many, many lost dog sights, she contacted rescues in Texas and surrounding states. She notified vets and sent them pictures. Months went by and she acquired another pair of dogs. She later acquired two more, but she was still determined to find her original dogs.

She was excited because she had been contacted by a woman who had seen one of her posts, and also seen the dogs on a rescue sight out of Arkansas. She looked on the sight and saw her dogs! She called me from the road, on a beeline to the rescue.

Now the questions. Why weren't they scanned? Both were chipped. Why won't they answer her calls, texts, and emails? She has contacted the athorities at her destination and they will meet her there. I am waiting to hear back from her with word about what happened. I sure hope they are there and she can bring them home tonight.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You would think they would have had a reader.
Serious issue there...they will have some explaining to do.

I am curious as how the dogs would get stolen in the first place.
I wonder if the dogs knew or were familiar with the abductors... can't see any LGD allowing someone to take them off their property without a serious fight.

So very glad she found them! Hope you will update with the report that they are now in her custody!

Wisher1000

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have not heard back from her and I'm getting a bit worried.

SBC - That was my first question to her, "Why didn't they scan them?" She didn't have an answer but was sure going to find out. The other worry was that they wouldn't return her calls. Like I said, she had notified the sheriffs department at the rescues location and was meeting them there, so I feel confident that she is okay, I'm just dying to know what happened.

She'll get back to me when she can.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
On the edge of my seat waiting to find out if she got them! I know rescues around us are horrible. Even if the animal is verified yours you will have to pay the adoption fee for them or they can refuse you because you don't meet the rescues requirements... I have seen it happen which is why I left the rescue scene....

Wisher1000

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
In Alabama, we have laws against that, I don't know about Texas or Arkansas. Here, if you file a police report of stolen property, the person who is found in possession of that property must surrender it and/or face charges (Receiving stolen property - felony) with NO compensation for what they paid or have invested in the property. That is to encourage people to find out if something is hot before they buy it. The rescue should have no claim, especially since the dogs are chipped.

It is different if the dog or other property is lost, but there is a misdemeanor charge of "Theft of Lost Property" if the finder doesn't make a reasonable effort to find the owner. Again......that would have been easy in this case.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The law reads the same in Tennessee Wisher. The Rescue would be in big legal manure if they demanded payment for an animal that can be proven to belong to the friend.

Wisher1000

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The dogs are home!!!!

Quick update.

They are in great shape, really too good. She said she thinks they have gotten fat and lazy. :gig No complaints, it's better than many alternatives.

The woman said she scanned the chips and "no information came up" ........ Really? It was checked while being discussed and came back to my friend AND was tagged as stolen dogs.

She produced a form from a man from Tennessee that showed he had released them to her. This will be followed up on.

A happy ending, no matter what.