Storing alfalfa pellet bags in winter?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So i wanted to bring this up because there was a question in the back of my mind about this...

I had 2 alfalfa pellet bags on the side of my garage that I realized the snow melt may have gotten onto them with some moisture. It doesn't appear that the water got into the bags. And the bags are still shut tight like they were in the store.

But it raised questions about maybe I should be more careful and pick the minds of the other guys the best way to store these, when I don't have a barn? (Would these comments change much for barley and BOSS seed bags also?)

Are there guides on this site about that?

How well do these need to be covered? Are tarps enough? And how much covering do you guys do?

I'd tried to cover most of these. But sometimes I get low on space and my winter prep experience hasn't been that great because last year our winter wasn't that harsh like this years was. And the year before that I didn't have ducks and rabbits yet.

I'm also low budget so I have to kind of be careful how much I spend on just covering things.

Side note also I'm curious if you guys have tried using horse blankets to cover rabbit hutches?

When I'm at Cal Ranch or other stores horse blankets are just so cheap, and look more durable than the melt-in-the-sun-plastic tarps.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I’d try to keep them dry. Honestly a couple of free pallets and an inexpensive tarp should easily do the trick.

Thanks.

Do you guys have a way to spot and tell if they are damaged without actually opening the bags too?

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Shake/roll the bag and listen. If it has that new bag sound, your good. If it sounds more dull, you may have some moisture. Moisture itself is ok, just use it before mold gets ahold of it. Feel also may help. If the cubes are solid, they are dry. If they are coming apart, they likely have some level of moisture in them.

Latest posts