MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was planning on keeping the caul fats off our butchers this year and trying some recipes but I won't be using all of them immediately. What are some ways to store it so that it will remain intact? I know it's pretty perishable and I've read it can be frozen but are there certain storage methods that work best for it? Also do certain animals' fats go bad faster than others or is that a dumb question?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Others who use various animal fats can help you more -- i'm sure there will be replies in a day or two. Personally, I find that the rendered lard I put into mason jars, store in frig, last "forever" if I don't break the seal. Once I open a jar, it stay good for months in frig. Kinda depends on how fast you use it. Have also frozen, then rendered later. No issues.

Since I no longer raise beef, rarely buy huge bulk anymore, another will need to chime in on that. FarmerJan raises & butchers, she'll give you straight up answers.

MargaretClare

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, I hadn't logged in in a while so only just saw your response now. When you put your lard in mason jars do you actually fully can them or do you just mean putting it in a jar and screwing the lid on?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the fat is hot liquid, then as it cools, it will seal. Then freeze.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
As Bay says, hot oil, seal forms. NOT like processing but good one for keeping these jars in frig (after cooling, obviously). The seal works because you don't have the same "spoilage" factor as with something like veggies. That oil pretty well kills any type bacteria. t will keep on a shelf but, I frig as there was room and I knew I wouldn't use all for a long while. Frozen, I am saying raw fat, vacuum sealed, rendered later. Of course, you could render, cool, freeze. I never have.