Straightening out a trailer?

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I may use the truck as the sturdy object to use the comealong on, since it weighs a lot. It's pretty slow moving, granny geared but that might be a last resort option. I think I'm going to have to strap it down to something sturdy to even pull on the opposite side, it's all steel beams but I know it is fairly light and I'm a bit cautious about tipping it over by accident. If the 4x4 idea doesn't work (however, I think it's a pretty darn good looking option) I might wedge the trailer between the tree and my truck and strap the good side to the truck for the weight, and the come along to the tree. At least that way if the comealong lets go it will hit the tree and not my truck.

I debated if I could use my hi lift jack to pry it out but can't see how I'm going to get a good purchase on it. When DH ran over a rock wall, it worked great to pull the bumper back out, but that's a much smaller area.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I vote (several times ;)) for @greybeard's "timber and come along" solution for several reasons:
  1. As @Latestarter said, other options don't let you "fine tune". I can just hear it: "Little more ... little more ... little mo STOP!!!!!!!! Too far, now how do I bend it back???" :D
  2. Being "all internal" you don't need to deal with stabilizing the trailer against the pull.
  3. I wouldn't trust even a "substantial" fence post, you really don't want to loosen a good fence post. A sturdy tree would be better if you go the "external" route.
Another potential option (sorry, no illustration) that wouldn't rely on a timber being the right length to go from the frame on the left side to the proper spot on the bent vertical on the right side would be to attach an appropriate length timber (like maybe the same-ish length as the vertical to the bottom of the vertical on the outside. Do it so it can move up and down like it was on a hinge (*). Attach a piece of cable, chain or appropriate strength low stretch rope to the top of this timber and to the vertical where you want the pull to be (the top perhaps?) so it is about a 45 degree angle from the base. Connect the come-along to the top of the timber and to the hitch on your truck which you have parked directly under the outboard end of the timber. Slowly crank the come-along to bend the vertical back straight.

* I have no idea how you would do this ;)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've nested my house until it's to the point of being tedious, this is also my 5th child so I might have a more relaxed viewpoint on things than previously. Doing light outdoor work is preferable to being in the house anyway! Pulling off the rotten boards was really light work, no prying involved, most of them ripped right through the bolts, and the ones that hung on, I cut off with a sawsall.

Trying to stay active also helps, I'm at the point of being tired of feeling like a useless blob, with everyone nagging at me not to do things, even very light work like carrying a 5 lb bucket out to the critters or picking out the horses feet. He just stands there, doesn't pull, and it takes me all of 5 minutes (that and nobody else in my house knows how to so why leave his feet packed?)...can't wait for the baby to be here and they can get off my case, lol.

Somehow I missed the fact that you have 4 children already! Must be you don't talk about them a lot or I'm reading the wrong threads or I've just lost it ;)

I :bow to your strength and all that you are doing not only because you are less than a week shy of "kidding" but also while having 4 other children to attend to!

I agree, sitting around isn't the best way to prepare for childbirth. As long as you have the hospital bag and the crib or bassinet ready to go, not much else to do besides keep busy.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Would you believe I saw a trailer almost identical to the one you bought on Craigs list? The only bad thing was the price was $1250!! I don't think so!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to get one like @AClark got Bay!!! A little DIY repair and she'll have a trailer worth 7X what she paid for it.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
$1250?! Are they high on crack?
Mines a craigslist buy, originally listed for $230, got him down to $175. I wouldn't have paid more than $200 for it in the condition it's in, especially considering the cost of repairing it. I can't even fathom that someone wanted that much for anything in the condition mine is in.
Same guy I got that one from had a nice gooseneck flatbed too - no wiring or floor in it, $650 - so I sold my car hauler for $600 to my neighbor and bought that instead. It has all the lenses, just the wiring isn't right. I've done so much trailer wiring that I'm basically a pro at it now and can wire a 6 round in about 30 minutes start to finish.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I THINK @Baymule meant the $1250 trailer is the same KIND as your wreck but in good shape (which yours will be soon as you get it fixed).

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Seems to me you ought to go into the trailer repair and re-sale business... you could probably make a living at it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I THINK @Baymule meant the $1250 trailer is the same KIND as your wreck but in good shape (which yours will be soon as you get it fixed).
Nope, it was a ringer for @AClark 's trailer. Whoever listed that wreck for that price must be an eternal optimist, super salesman or drunk. Maybe all 3.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Really! They must be hoping people looking for trailers are drunk as a skunk! I bet either they sell it for a LOT less or have it forever.