strange behavior

farmy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have had most of the cows in our herd for at least 5 years they have always gotten along great, but now I have a concern. One of our females, Nacho, has started spending a lot of time separated from the herd.

I have no clue how old she is she wandered up almost 6 years ago. From what I can see there is nothing physically wrong with her.

About 4 months ago we did introduce two females into that herd a calf and another cow who is probably around 5 years old. Everything has been fine with them and when Nacho is near the herd she doesnt seem to be avoiding them.

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea as to why she might be acting this way...

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My first thought is something is wrong with her. If you have a place you can separate her to, I would do so. Check her over good. How is she eating?

BTW-How does a cow just wander up?

farmy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
heh we had several severe hurricanes (3 in a row to be exact) and during one of the storms we went out to check on our cows and we had 2 extra. We placed ads and no one came to claim them.

She is eating and drinking. I can put her in a paddock with just horses for now, our vet should be out in a few days to look at some pigs hopefully he will have some idea about her then.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That would explain a cow just wandering up alright.

If she's eating fine and has no injury, I don't know why she would all of a sudden hang by herself.

farmy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
no we only have steers...

I hope our vet can figure it out, I dont get to close to her because she doesnt like humans and she's horned. So I look as best as I can while they are eating.The only thing I can physically notice on her is a small maybe nickel sized abrasion on her hind right leg, but I can not imagine that's the problem... who knows though.

nacho.jpg

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I think she might have a game leg. But without any other symptoms like dull eyes, lethargic, limping, coughing, ragged breathing, etc. we really can't tell you what's the matter with her.

DO NOT on ANY account put her in with the horses!! Horses are aggressive and a bit abusive to others that are not horses, and that includes cattle. If she's injured, she doesn't need the extra stress from being constantly harried by the horses, because there's a high chance that it'll just make things worse. If you want to separate her, put her in a pen either by herself or a few other animals that won't be bothering her, i.e. goats or sheep.

farmy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
yeah, I just though about those horses because they are used to being with cattle, but I think I figures out what might be wrong.

I spent a lot of time watching them today, and I noticed Nacho goes with the herd but the little calf leaves when she gets there. Its weird because I think they just dont want to be together... So I think I may move the calf in with our other group of cattle and see if nacho is happier...

I am still planning on having our vet look at her but I think she just doesn't like baby Shelby.

I am only thinking this because other than not hanging out with the herd she seems normal, eating swimming, running... do you think that could be it?