strange behavior

farmy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
yeah thats the one she was putting weight on, yesterday she was being funny about the other three...

Im just glad we fixed it... We are just going to have to watch her very close... Good news is she's only about 7 years old so we will have her for a very long time!

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
WOW! :ep Glad you got to the root of her problem. I am also glad you took and shared pics. Good info in pics! Was the bottom of her foot raw or what did it look like, and was she just laying down so you could approach her?

farmy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
well her hooves on that side were beginning to crack, you could see up at the fetlock was slightly swollen, but once we got her on her side
100_7871.jpg

you could see discoloration in the hoof, as we started trimming you could see that the abscess was pretty large we cut out a good portion of it, but left the rest to drain.

Now shes on antibiotics and pain killers.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
that looks like that hurts. the foot and the nose restraint. OW!!! (But, I know we need to do these things for safety!)
Was it hard getting her down? We had to throw a steer once with the vet, he got a nail in his hoof. that was fun......he was so close (about 2 months) to butcher time, after the vet told us all that fixing it would entail- we did him that day. :hide
Glad you are able to treat this one, hope she mends quickly for you!

farmy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
it wasnt hard getting her down at all we darted her we used that restraint because I had to hold her head while he worked on the foot and I dint want her jumping to life and goring the heck out of him!

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I guess you'd have to restrain her like that! You probably don't have any handling facilities, right? Which makes it incentive for the vet to put her down like that.

I do hope too that her foot heals up alright. Good idea to keep an eye on it because sometimes those abcesses can come back again and need to be drained out again.

Good luck with her. :)

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
WOW, poor Nacho and that foot! Ick. Does she have a dressing on it at all, or will she just have the antibiotics and hope it stays clean?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Did you apply any meds directly to the abscess and bandage it? We would with the dairy cattle but, then they are used to being worked with so, doing more with them later wouldn't be hard. I'm just wondering how you would deal with the bandage if you had to tranq her to work with her in the first place.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
kitty you an think alike.the vets here would wrapp that foot after they dr it.

farmy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
well we have aluminum spray on it right now. Our vet will be back out in 3 days after her pain killers and antibiotics begin to wear off to see where we are.

SHe doesnt have it wrapped, but we dont have a squeeze pen and she is really an unhappy camper, so walking right up to her is not an option. We'll see in 3 days, if she's not feeling better we'll have to try something different. But we are trying to put the least amount of stress on her as possible.

Our vet is one of only 2 large animal vets who see cattle within several hundred miles, he's currently "retired" but he still travels to out of town dairies at least 3 days a week.

I love him though, he's always willing to do things the way we like them so long as its safe for the animal and for us.

I'm guessing most of you have a holding facility or a shoot system? DO some of you (or most of you) work your cows feet daily? I have a daily routine I do with our equine, but our cattle have never really had a problem.

I know it looks painful but I dont think she could feel a thing, you cant see it in the pic, but she still has the dart in her neck at this point and she is def. passed out!

The one thing I really like about doing this is it lets us get our hands all over them. Other than her foot shes in perfect health he was even saying how wonderful her teeth were.