Strange-Down with milk fever and then up and RUNNING!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had a cow freshen on sunday. This morning when the cows came in she didn't. Unusual and she is normal in the first half to come in. DH went out to find her and found her down with milk fever.

He IVed her and wasn't to sure she would get up and it was beginning to look like she wasn't going to. All of a sudden she was on her feet and running to the barn. She was running just as fast as her wobbly body would allow her to go and it was a pretty good rate too.

I saw her coming (I was doing the milking) and told her to slow down! I was afraid she would slide and fall when she got to the cement. She ran all the way into her spot. I guess she didn't like being left behind.

DH gave her a tube of calcium before we let her back out this morning too. Hopefully that will do her but, I will keep an eye on her today.

Cajunsamoan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I hope that your cow will be okay. If you don't mind, what is milk fever?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here is the def by Merks Vet Manual:
Milk fever is characterized by low blood calcium and paralysis and is usually seen within 48 hr after calving in cows beyond their first lactation. High-calcium intake during the dry period increases the incidence; limiting calcium intake before calving but increasing it at calving time decreases the incidence.

Some other info I put together:
Signs-Early-cow is unsteady on her feet. If you push her gently on the side she wobbles. Later-down and can't get up. real droopy looking. She will need to be given calcium. There are products that can be given IV in the vein or there are gels that can be given orally. The gels are slower working. Whereas the IV product hits fast and is better for a cow that is actually down.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Boy, she was quick to recover!

We were always told to feel for cold ears when checking for milk fever, I guess in Wisconsin, the poor cows always have cold ears!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not always. We will be getting a taste of summer this week. 78 today 86 tomorrow. Then it cools back down to be more seasonal, low 70's. ;)

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
you want them to get up real quick after you treat emm for milk fever.but ive never seen or heard of 1 that went running to the barn.how far did you milk her out this morning.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
DH milked her so I have no clue.

I got to thinking and I believe she went down with milk fever last year. Which would have put her at a higher risk this year. I just changed my books and I'll have to dig the old set out and check.

She came in the barn tonight but, something just doesn't seem right. So to error on the side of caution I will probably give her an oral tube of calcium. If she doesn't need it, it won't hurt her because it's not a strong enough dose to over due her system. But, if she's borderline, hopefully it will keep her from going over and that is the main thing.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
the oral does should have her feeling better.weve never that i can remember had to treat a cow 2x for the same case of milk fever.