Strange-Down with milk fever and then up and RUNNING!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We've had one that we treated 3 days in a row. NOT something I care to repeat.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I gave her a tube of calcium--she did NOT appreciate me! She did however seem better when she walked out of the barn tonight.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Isn't milk fever's characteristic that they bend their head against their side- - they can't hold their head upright?
You have to be careful at what rate you IV the calcium: too fast can kill them.

Some cows do take multiple doses over a couple days.

I was in early teens and wanting to be a vet ( back in the dark ages) when Pop handed me the IV equipment and told me to administer the calcium. THis was back in the days when farmers were just being allowed to purchase such stuff instead of calling the vet, and since vet calls cost $$...
Well, being just a kid- I refused, of course. Never did learn how to stick a cow's jugular, and no one ever bothered to teach me:( He ended up doing the deed.
I did get pretty good with the regular injections tho!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
Isn't milk fever's characteristic that they bend their head against their side- - they can't hold their head upright?
You have to be careful at what rate you IV the calcium: too fast can kill them.

Some cows do take multiple doses over a couple days.

I was in early teens and wanting to be a vet ( back in the dark ages) when Pop handed me the IV equipment and told me to administer the calcium. THis was back in the days when farmers were just being allowed to purchase such stuff instead of calling the vet, and since vet calls cost $$...
Well, being just a kid- I refused, of course. Never did learn how to stick a cow's jugular, and no one ever bothered to teach me:( He ended up doing the deed.
I did get pretty good with the regular injections tho!
She is doing good this morning.

I've never had one bend their head to the side. They usually are unsteady before they go down. I'm glad we usually only get a couple a year.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
we have a friend (who used to raise dairy, but now has about 140 head of beef) who gives a quart of maple syrup to cow with milk fever. Ever tried that? Not sure what it all entails (calcium, sugar?) but he swears by it........ :hu

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey you guys, Have another prolbem. We finally got our rain so that makes everthing green. It been raining since monday and still is. When I went out yesterday afternoon to feed the cows It was rain somewhat hard. So I used an umbellra. I think I scaced Reba. She somewhat jumped back Slid on the went ground, but what was odd is that it was like a drunk move. Then she kinda look at me like she was in space. She eat her food, but then I notice she was walking backward alot. Very slow. So I just thought she must be spooked still. When I got bac from 4-h I checked on her. This time I just went out there with no unbrella getting wet. But I didn't want to scare her again. She still is lossing her balance she still is standing. And of course Sara-lu is being very cauntions of her. She stand between me and Reba, Like she doesn't want me to get near her. I listen all night to the rain and worried about Reba. I was listen for any mooing. This morning I got up and went out there. Was glad to see that she was in the barn laying down and out of the rain. She walk very slow to her dish but did eat. But I've been watching her still and when sh walked up to the water tank very slow again and wobble, Drink water and then started walking backwards, and loseing her balance,What is wrong. If I could film her I would have so I could get you guys a better out look of this. Or should I call the vet. Which we don't have one. For large animals in the area. :hit Please tell me this is'nt serious, My hubby says she might have an ear infection, or water in the ear because of the rain?????????