Strange question

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a strange question: is it normal for kids to have a strong smell? Oreo's kids are 9 days old and smell terrible. The don't have messy bums and they look clean, but the smell like they've rolled through really raunchy barnyard. They are on clean bedding. Is this normal?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many years ago I had a kid that smelled absolutely rotten - she had an umbilical infection despite all the iodine dips that I routinely do. Sniff her belly...

Hope it's not that and that maybe she just DID get some poo on her.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
will do! thanks. I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow to disbud the buckling, I thought I would take the doeling too so neither would be lonely. They both smell dreadful. I do have an overactive nose, so I hope it is just that.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I gave each kid's umbilical cord the sniff test. The buckling definitely had a smell that I could not detect on the girl. His umbilical cord looks good though. No swelling, redness, discharge, streaks, etc. We see the vet at 9:30 am and I will be sure to ask about it.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So we are home from the vet. She checked both umbilical cord and pronounced them good. Cosmo got disbursed, Caper is naturally polled. They both got a clean bill of health!