Strange shaped egg and a quiet hen - please help!

Callumandrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hens that eat layer ration tend to get enough calcium and will consume very little extra calcium. Since they have access to it I would just assume it was a one time occurrence, unless it continues, but even if it did I'm not sure you could do anything to prevent it.

Is it warm where you are at? I have read that panting can cause brittle shells.

She has done wrinkly eggs before and investigating it further we wonder if she has had IB before she came to live with us.
I wouldn't call it warm here really, it is for what are used to but it has gone above 20degrees centrigrade yet this year so hopefully it's not to do with the heat, they have plenty of water and shade.

Thank you!

Dozclan12

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've had a hen that is also laying soft shells..in fact, just broke her egg in my hand just taking it out of the nest box this morning when it bumped next to another egg I was holding. Now, this girl, has been trying to go broody. Put her in a broody breaker for a couple of days. She is not acting broody now, but has been laying funky eggs. By chance, since you said that your hen is quiet...lol..most of the time they will growl and fluff up while broody..but could yours be getting broody? Some hens will just sit back, and be still. Just a thought..and yes, my girl that was trying to go broody, started laying the soft shell eggs before I broke her. I did put some extra oyster shell out, haven't in a long time, they are free ranging and should be fine, but giving them a choice. Like said above, they won't eat it if they don't need it. Let's hope both of our girls get back to normal!

Callumandrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your kind help and suggestions, scruffy has woken up this morning full of the joys of spring, running round putting all the girls in line and shouting at me.
Fingers crossed it was just a glitch.
Thanks again!

Callumandrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you @CTKen that page is really interesting, she regularly lays eggs with wrinkles so it's interesting to read about the possible causes.
Thank you for Your help.

Latest posts