Strange Tasting Milk

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So one of my nanny's gave birth a week ago this past Friday. Her milk has a very weird whang to it. It smells and looks absolutely fine but tastes almost soured, even fresh from her straight to the fridge. We pulled the kids when they were 4 days to bottle feed but this is the first time we have pulled them this young (still finding what works for us). My first set of momma's had fantastic milk right from the start of my milking them but they got to keep the kids for 2 weeks but then I had a devil of a time getting the babes to take the bottle so I was hoping to avoid that this time by pulling the babies sooner.

Any suggestions? Is this weird taste a leftover from the hormones of giving birth? Perhaps there is still some colostrum in her system (since she isn't getting a steady draining from the kids)?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
They have colostrum in the milk for 2 weeks, do not drink it before that mark. Store it for bottle milk.

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ahhhhh, well that would explain it. Thanks Kate - I was worried if her milk would always taste gross.... :sick

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Goats are like pregnant women in that what they eat will affect the taste of their milk, aren't they? Like onions and garlic? Isn't there some things that you should avoid feeding them?