Strauch Drum Carder

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think I'm going to take the plunge and go ahead and buy the Strauch drum carder I've been eyeing. I'm not getting the motorized one, but I guess I can upgrade it if I want to. I've done a lot of research, and talked to Otto Strauch himself, and I think I'm sold on it.

Anybody else use a drum carder that they like? I seriously need to get busy with all these bags of wool I have!

Fiberfling

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have had a Clems & Clems and Louet. I don't like hand carding and turning a crank gets boring. I think there is a more romantic notion in it than anything useful. Yes they do better than hand cards, but I have never had them come out as good as commercially processed fiber. At least not the turn yourself ones. If I were to get another home carding machine it would certainly be electric and with a big enough drum to actually get enough carded wool off to make a sweater. Do get the finer combs if you get one, you won't be sorry for that.

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you FiberFling. I appreciate your input. I haven't bought it yet, and am hearing mixed opinions in general about a hand crank drum carder.

BethC

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a Strauch Petite.. Love it!!

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh update! I've had my Strauch drum carder since last fall and I LOVE IT! I use it all the time and it will handle any kind of wool I have. :thumbsup

CritterZone

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We are considering buying one as well. I recently discovered hand felting and am having a great time with it. We are cleaning and carding the wool with hand carders but it seems a drum carder would be faster. Admittedly, price will play into our final decision. The felting is a hobby and I already have a LOT of expensive hobbies, so I need to keep it reasonable. I will look up the Strauch - probably not going to buy anything tomorrow, so if there is more input from folks, I would love to hear it.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You folks might want to talk on the Fiber Forum, of Homesteading Today.
I think this link will work, but you may have to join, to be able to read
the posts.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/index.php

They have an extensive knowledge of all things to do with fiber
from anything! Lots of discussions about carders, spinning, knitting
and crochet, weaving and felting. Lots of deep knowledge
and experience that is willingly shared.

The Fiber folks are in the Country Homemaking section, all have
been really nice folks.