Stripes Kidding Thread

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
For a dry, full sized Nubian doe, five cups is fine. Definitely not over feeding her. My dry Nubian doe was eating much more than that because she lived with the coming yearlings. I DID put her on a diet because she was over 165# and was a walking ball of blubber :gig Right now she's keeping condition on just hay with the occasional snack. Once she starts getting close to kidding I'll start her on feed again. But this doe looks very good so I say just keep doing what you're doing :thumbsup She is growing babies and needs the extra calories for those kids and milk! My lamanchas were on feed every day for the entire pregnancy, if I had to guess it probably worked out to around 1-1.5# per doe/day. Some of my dwarfs were on little to no feed during pregnancy, just depends on the doe. Generally, standards are fine to be fed feed the whole pregnancy however this is why knowing your goats is key.

Five cups for a good milking nigie is fine. I know some breeders that feed their nigies over 2# a day when in milk. Again, just depends on the doe. Some does can milk and keep condition on a small amount of feed while others need buckets of feed!
For example- I have 2 does that are 3/4 siblings. One doe eats less but milks more than, while the other eats more but milk less (but still a good milker mind you). Every doe is different and it's your job to adjust accordingly and cull to "shape" your herd to what you want.

When they are used to it, goats can eat a lot of feed with no ill effects. Right now our Nubian buck is eating A LOT. He's growing though and gaining 10-15# a month, weighed 144# on his first birthday. Right now he's eating by the quart… but he is accustomed to it. If he were only getting 2 cups of feed and suddenly had access to a large amount of feed that could be life threatening.

@SandyNubians I am so sorry for all the kids you have gone through, it is very devastating and I see why you are stressed over your girl! Take a deep breath and take it one day at a time. :hugs We recently lost our top LGD back in December. It was completely unexpected. We are still heartbroken, can't even talk about her without tearing up. I know the sadness and grief along with it- very sorry you are dealing with this too :hit
I haven't seen an udder shrink like that, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the kids have died.
Have you bounced the expecting doe? (Sorry if I missed that…) If you are having a hard time feeling movement, give the dam some Nutri Drench and after about 15 minutes try to bounce her. That extra sugar can cause kids to "bounce off walls" before the are even born! :) Sounds like you are doing a good job, try not to stress too bad (easier said than done, I know).

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you Goat Whisperer for the info! I read a few things on how to bump (cause I have to be honest I had no idea what that meant :hide) I gave her some nutri-drench and wowza!! After 10 minutes I saw kids moving! That was the first time i have seen them moving in weeks!!! I was trying to keep all my joy inside! They are alive!!!:weee
I am not sure if I should up her grain as she milks about 10-15lbs twice a day (I have her milk records if that would help with determining if I should give her more grain)

We finally have some udder growth!!!:weee I was so worried she wouldn't have any milk for them! I think she is starting to fill. I am hoping to go out tomorrow and see she had a BOOM over night. I am hoping to actually clip her tomorrow so I can get a better view of her udder (and so she doesn't have birth goo on her)

Here are some pictures. Sorry they are so small it wouldn't let me upload the full sized ones so I had to crop them.

This was last night at 10:08 pm
_20170318_220808.JPG

And this was tonight at 10:11pm
_20170318_220826.JPG

I feel way more excited than I should for a small udder change, but I am just happy it's growing! :celebrate

Her ligs were pretty soft by no means gone though. She looks like she may have dropped! She looks like she hasn't eat in days!

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just thought I would do a quick update before I fall asleep:caf (it's 3am)

There is not much to update except that her udder maybe grew a tad bit more. She had a little goo and pretty soft ligaments when I checked her a while ago. I had to check on her twice before I called it a night. Normally I don't even check at night unless they look to be in labor. I felt she was pretty close:idunno I will try and update later.

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Looking good! Hope her udder continues to grow and she kids soon!!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you Goat Whisperer for the info! I read a few things on how to bump (cause I have to be honest I had no idea what that meant :hide) I gave her some nutri-drench and wowza!! After 10 minutes I saw kids moving! That was the first time i have seen them moving in weeks!!! I was trying to keep all my joy inside! They are alive!!!:weee
I am not sure if I should up her grain as she milks about 10-15lbs twice a day (I have her milk records if that would help with determining if I should give her more grain)

We finally have some udder growth!!!:weee I was so worried she wouldn't have any milk for them! I think she is starting to fill. I am hoping to go out tomorrow and see she had a BOOM over night. I am hoping to actually clip her tomorrow so I can get a better view of her udder (and so she doesn't have birth goo on her)

Here are some pictures. Sorry they are so small it wouldn't let me upload the full sized ones so I had to crop them.

This was last night at 10:08 pm
View attachment 29618

And this was tonight at 10:11pm
View attachment 29619

I feel way more excited than I should for a small udder change, but I am just happy it's growing! :celebrate

Her ligs were pretty soft by no means gone though. She looks like she may have dropped! She looks like she hasn't eat in days!
Somehow I completely missed this! I am so happy you were able to feel movement! It's a nice little trick, isn't it? :) I don't know that I'd up the feed yet. If she has a good BCS right now, I would keep doing what you are doing. I'd love to see her milk records- feel free to send to me. Was she on official DHIR?

Just thought I would do a quick update before I fall asleep:caf (it's 3am)

There is not much to update except that her udder maybe grew a tad bit more. She had a little goo and pretty soft ligaments when I checked her a while ago. I had to check on her twice before I called it a night. Normally I don't even check at night unless they look to be in labor. I felt she was pretty close:idunno I will try and update later.
:pop:pop:pop:pop

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Somehow I completely missed this! I am so happy you were able to feel movement! It's a nice little trick, isn't it? :) I don't know that I'd up the feed yet. If she has a good BCS right now, I would keep doing what you are doing. I'd love to see her milk records- feel free to send to me. Was she on official DHIR?

:pop:pop:pop:pop

Yes, it is! I did it a few days ago just to make sure my mind wasn't making me think I was feeling babies. It is definitely babies!
I will see if I can find her milk records! Unfortunately, no she's not.

I can't believe Newton went before her! Tell Stripes she's got to hurry up!

Newton kidded?!?! I have been lurking on that thread! I just haven't been able to do much these past 5 or so days. I guess I have some catching up to do!

Okay, it has been pretty nerve racking these last few days! Last night she has white-ish discharge that changed to yellow/orange? discharge I got a picture of it on my phone but it isn't the best quality. When I went to check on her a few minutes ago she had a clear discharge almost touching the ground I couldn't get a picture of it but best I could compare it to would be runny egg whites.