1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hay for young goats - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Contest Time!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

4. BYC Other Poultry Calendar for sale!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Stubborn calf

Discussion in 'Birthing, Weaning, and Raising Calves' started by haviris, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Jan 10, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    haviris

haviris Loving the herd life

Yes, I took him to the vet at day 2, she gave him some draxxin and b12, and she tried feeding him some stuff she said they usually like and gets them going, it didn't, she also gave him something for appetite (it's for dogs, she wasnt sure what it would do for a calf), i could hear his stomach growling, but it didnt get him to eat. I went back this morning and got some banamine, and picked up some throat spray. It's taken an hour and a half so far, but I've been slowly syringing milk down him, and he's swollowing it!! Once he's gotten a full pint I'll leave him alone until he asks to be fed again then we will start the process over again. As long as this works I won't tube him.

He's not the first calf I've had that was a pain to feed, had one for 5 days that would not take the bottle no matter what I did, but the difference that time was that he didnt fight every attempt to feed him and I was able to syringe feed him enough to keep him going (thankfully after 5 days I was able to get him back on the cow).

I'm also not sure theres not some genetic stubborness going on, I have gotten the pleasure of dealing with two of his half sisters and they were also more difficult then most.