Stuck Kits...retained kit??

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
HELP!
My Netherland Dwarf was due today (first litter) and she had a stuck kit...when i was pulling it out I realized that it had the umbilical cord wrapped around its neck.
I got that one out and after about a half hour she passed the placenta. She has another kit in her... It's been 2 hours and she is not having any more contractions.
I gave her black cohosh, RealSalt and turmeric in water, hoping that would help induce labor.
So far nothing is happening. I know a dead kit in her will kill her if it stays there...is there anything else I can do??

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
another says feed kelp something about calium helping stregthen crontraction . she first masaged downward on stomach where kit was felt then gave a bottom half warm bath said it took a week for her to finsh delievering the kits:ephttp://hollyshollands.weebly.com/blog/tips-and-tricks-to-helping-a-doe-with-a-stuck-kit

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Retained kits aren't necessarily a death sentence. They can mummify inside the doe. Usually, the remains of the dead kit act like a IUD, keeping the doe from conceiving (at least on that side). I have had a couple of does pass a fetal mummy with a subsequent litter; they are weird looking, snake-like shriveled things that are barely recognizable as being rabbits. One doe, I knew she had a mummy when I got her, but the other was a surprise.

I have also had a few does give birth to a retained kit a couple of days after the others, especially when there were only a couple of really large kits. It's not unusual for contractions to stop, and restart later; I've been told that some breeds of rabbits are notorious for giving birth over the course of a few days rather than all at once.

A vet can give a shot of Oxytocin to try to get the contractions going and expel the kit, or do a c-section (though you might as well have the doe spayed at the same time, since she probably won't be useful as a breeder after that).

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not a rabbit person - but a ton of years ago we had a bunny that had the same problem. I called my rabbit mentor and he recommended Oxytocin. I had some on hand and as best I recall (and I don't really trust my memory) but I think I gave her 1/4 cc - or was it .10 of a cc? Anyway, she delivered a big ol' single kit. Good luck with her - hope she can get through this.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies!
So far no kit yet. She (Mavis) seems comfortable though, eating her hay and dinner.
The vet I work for doesn't treat rabbits and the clinic that will is only open 2 days a week. I'll give them a call on Monday if things are looking worse for her.
@Jesusfreak101 i appreciate you researching for me :) Thank you for the links!
@frustratedearthmother if i had oxytocin i would give her some but the laws are so strict on it now and it has to be administered by a vet after examining the animal :\ Wish i could, i know it would help her!
It's good to know that the kit could mummify...that makes me feel better, I was worried about sepsis but it sounds like rabbits can handle issues like this pretty well.
Thanks again everyone! :hugs