Stupid question

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They aren't all lady-like and subtle--my Jersey heifer goes after anything she sees--horse, dog, DH, me--feels like you're in the sea with a Great White!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
We never had any problem with our bull calves when I was a kid. EVER. They were well behaved and pretty gentle. All of us kids could go into the pasture with them. Not to say that they weren't at times dangerous during the time when the cows were in full heat, but them being always dangerous is just not true. It is animals specific. And we had a LOT of bulls...

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The key word that Queen Mum is sharing is bull CALVES. Bull calves are not dangerous---but bulls ARE. Most of those who are on this site are very inexperienced with cattle. Lots of them are trying to make bull calves into pets, and this makes them doubly dangerous. A so-called "pet" bull has little or no respect for humans. To make things even worse, lots of people feel it's cruel to dehorn these bulls. A recipe for disaster for sure. Believe me, I've seen firsthand what bulls can do, and it isn't pretty.

The Grim Raker

Reaction score
Bossroo said:
The Grim Raker said:
Bossroo said:
Here is a GOOD question ... W H Y ???
Well its absolutely nothing to do with his nuts missing bossroo is it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry patty but you did leave yerself wide open to the boys :lol: :lol: :lol: I know you like a chuckle though :lol:
N O lauphing matter... Raising a Jersy bull calf will be quite an advetsure with serous consequenses. Many a dairy farmer has paid for doing this with cripling injuries as well as their own life. :ep I hope that you have your life insurance all paid up and in full force and build a corral with 6 ft tall heavy guage all steel fences with electric wire. Bulls are unpredictable and ill tempered, especially dairy bulls... mature Jersy bulls are among the worst tempered of the lot. :old
I was referring to the first part "steer showing no interest in cow :lol: :lol: Loosen up Bossroo
As for having a Jersey bull erm don't do it
Cruel to dehorn a bull ???? - do people really think that's cruel

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If I remember right, Patty, like me, is just planning on keeping her little bull until he's done his job for one year. She tried AI and her heifer didn't settle. Not all of us have easy access to AI people, my vet just retired, and most aren't doing calls anymore. It doesn't leave you with a lot of options. From what I understand, it isn't so much that Jersey bulls are any worse than other dairy bulls, just that you don't get any warning. We've had some at work who were mouthy and went down the road, but we've got one now that likes to fly under your radar until he thinks he's got you cornered, but they're at least 2 years old.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
The Grim Raker said:
Cruel to dehorn a bull ???? - do people really think that's cruel
Yes, I've heard it all the time. It's because of the pain thing (and the amount of blood loss...that's the biggest thing that grosses people out and automatically mark a practice as "cruel"--just like slaughtering is equivalent to "murder") that makes dehorning cruel. They think, and they are partly correct, that dehorning any animal without anaesthetic is an extremely painful process and a lot of blood is involved, no matter how brief the pain may last and what the benefits are after the process is done to that animal. These people who consider it cruel really don't understand the whole aspect of animal husbandry and humane raising of livestock because they want to treat these animals as pets and want no harm nor pain to come to them. Of course, good intentions have bad consequences which these people will have to pay for in the end.

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Maybe she will be lucky and he will be old enough to "do the deed" before he is old enough to be mean tempered

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Jersey bull won't be much over a year old when he hits the freezer. He is here for one tour of duty only. Was born last June and will be in the freezer this fall. He has not been handled and is not a pet. Have heavy duty round pen panels if he gets to be a handful. No one is allowed in pasture with him. Our cow is due anytime now. He is dehorned and has a steer for a buddy same age also dehorned.The prior steer was just stupid lol tho he tasted excellent.

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I might add that I dehorned these guys when their horns were little nubs with a dehorning iron. My son sits on them while laying down, holds their head and I burn. Over quick no blood.