Sudden death in kits, stiffening?

Bunny-kids

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've got something strange going on with one litter of kits.

I've lost 3 from the same litter now, and looks like a 4th may be on its way.

They seem to be fine, and then I discover them outside the box -- stiffening, cold and looking dead. I can massage them, warm them up, and they revive quite a bit. They do tend to gasp for air though. One even looked normal for a short time. Sometimes they arch their backs and paddle their feet during this stage though. As long as I hold them, keep them warm, and rub them, they stay alive. But when I put them down, either in the nest box, or in a warmer, and come back shortly after, even if they seemed fine and were starting to move around, they are dead.

I thought with the first two they were too young to be out of the nest box and had gotten chilled. The first one WAS quite young. The second one was old enough to be out of the box, but I thought he'd gotten stuck behind it and was unable to get out. The third one was old enough to hop in and out. So these deaths are spaced out by a week or two, and have been going on since the kits were about two weeks old.

The one that died last night had some dried poo stuck to it's bottom, and I could feel the ribs just a tiny bit. I never noticed that with the others. He also cried before he died. I gave him a tiny bit of warmed water and molasses in a syringe, which he drank, and then peed. There were just no other signs of illness besides what I've mentioned here.

The one that's out there today looking suspicious is different, I just noticed his fur was a bit ruffled and he had his eyes closed almost every time I checked on them throughout the day. I debated pulling him, but they are not quite weaned yet, and I was afraid I'd stress him and not be able to feed him properly and end up killing him anyway. She only has 3 left. And I'm not so sure it's infectious, since the deaths are so spread out and there was ZERO sign of illness beforehand in the first three deaths (though it could still be).

I've had all my rabbits in the same general area, with cages next to each other, and this doe is in her first year of breeding (this is her first litter). I only separated her from her sister in January or so. Other than a doe with a crusty nose a few years ago, and audible breathing from a few kits over the years, I've never had signs of illness, and I very rarely lose kits. When I do, it's usually first time moms, kits on wire, that sort of thing. I had one die due to heat a few years ago, and one die this year in another litter than I think was stomped on and had it's back broken. Otherwise, they are all healthy, and have always been.

Any ideas?

I'm planning to start the doe and the rest of the kits on antibiotics in case it does help. And I'm also considering breeding her once more to another buck, in case there's some kind of genetic mismatch going on. (I bred her to her father, but there is no relation beyond that.) This is a California doe, and I may breed her to the NZ buck just to make sure, since all my Cali's came from the same rabbitry but the buck was not related to the original does.

Her sister, mother, and aunt have all had healthy kits with the same buck, and no losses.

I know that's not much to go on, but that's what surprises me ... they are FINE and then I find them almost dead, always the same. The first two I thought I knew why, but now I'm thinking I was wrong and something is going on. There was no apparent reason for a kit that old to die in that way, so it must be another cause.

Would appreciate hearing any ideas or suggestions. Thanks so much!

Edited to add: and for the sake of more info, I feed Acco rabbit pellets and grass hay, and I usually pull clover for them - 1 handful per cage - once or twice a week these days. The clover grows in my backyard and has chickens, geese, a llama, and just in the past few days a goat on it, all part-time. Yard is fenced and not very likely to have had wild rabbits in it.

Bunny-kids

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

It's not something I've dealt with before. I read the information on that page, and I really doubt that's what's wrong with them, if the information is accurate.

The litter is not fully weaned yet. They are starting to eat pellets, but are still nursing. The first kit died long before weaning, before beginning to eat solids at all. The eyes were barely open.

I put the 4th one down tonight.

Normally they've been dying right after they first became affected, but this one has been hanging on, and not in as bad a shape. Tonight he got worse, and I can see he wouldn't likely get better, and I'm not willing to let them suffer, so I put him down. The last two are (so far) appearing perfectly healthy. I kept the nest box in the cage since the last one to be ill was the runt, and the nights have been getting a bit chilly. They aren't messing in it (yet!) but since the last two are stronger and it's about time to take it out, I probably will.

There wasn't anything to stress them that I'm aware of. Nothing unusual has happened, and they have four other litters up and down the row on either side of them, and no sickness or losses anywhere in any of those litters (with the exception of a new mama that insisted on peeing in the nest box with her new litter, but I've got her sorted out now - none of them died or got sick, just one got very dirty!). No one is stressed out.

Only two kits in her litter left.

I can spare the doe, I have one or two more than I need. I've thought of culling the whole cage, just in case. But I really REALLY don't like to kill animals without knowing it's necessary. And since I don't know why they are dying, I wouldn't use them for meat or dogfood. Besides, also just in case anything comes further of it, it might be helpful having exposed animals further along for the sake of diagnosis.

Anyway, I appreciate the info. I normally handling weaning pretty carefully, keeping the kits from being stressed as much as possible, and making sure they have roughage, etc. Never had any problems with weaning before. Honestly, the personality of my rabbits doesn't seem to fit with a lot of what I read. They are VERY calm, sociable, and laid back. For a while I had a real problem with predators, and even trapped a coyote and later a dog who were trying to get them in their cages. The trapped animals spent some time right outside the cage (that's the only way I could get them to step in the traps) and my rabbits were perfectly fine after spending the night inches from a coyote, dog, and other animals who had tried to get them. I kept watching for signs of upset or stress, but everyone was fine. This was a couple of years ago, so no long-term effects. And here I was thinking if they saw a snake, they might freak out, smash into a corner, and break their necks! I also have a lot of them set up so they can interact through the wires of their cage (related females mostly) and they will even trade kits back and forth, with no one getting upset or causing problems (escape artist kits who "visit" an aunt or grandma).

Thanks again for the reply. I just don't find what is on that page to fit the situation. I'm still at a loss ...