suddenly sick goat

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
4year old Nubian doe. No appetite this morning, no appetite this evening, slightly bloody severe diarrhea, off acting and a lump on her jaw. Nursing triplets that are 2-2.5 months old. Udder is not hard. Will check her milk. She looks awful where I check ligaments waiting for a kidding.

I left her to eat this morning while I milked others. I don't milk her. I assumed she had eaten. She always does. I went to feed again and saw that she ate nothing this morning and didn't come for dinner. Noticed lump on jaw and nasty diarrhea. This was not present last night as her stall has none. It was closed off during the day.

I have separated her, gave b complex injection, probios and electrolytes. I will post pics soon.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Never had lumps lesions before. But possibly CL?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You said lump on jaw? Do you mean under the chin like bottle jaw?

I would be extremely worried about the bloody diarrhea and get a fecal done ASAP.
Are her eyelids pale?
Body condition?
Temperature?

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Get a fecal
The lump on jaw could just be a salivary gland and no big deal
But it might be more
I would get a vet involved

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG
I will get a fecal. The pics I see of bottle jaw seem more swollen rather than lump. I see nothing in her mouth but it is hard to see well.

Her eyelids run a pale pink normally and they look their normal color. She was last dewormed after kidding on 3/15 with valbazen 140 pound dosage. She does not keep good condition. She never does. I am not milking her this season hoping to gain better condition. She looks way too thin as I look at her today. She ate nothing today. I got her at nearly 2 years old and she was on the thin side. She is very thin now. I feed her the same amount I feed the does I milk.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When I say bloody I mean I saw some Spots of red in the puddle on the ground. So it's not a huge amount but something I noted to worry about.

I will definitely have a vet do a fecal tomorrow morning. Despite her eyelids looking okay for her, it seems it could be another deworming she needs.

I do not have a thermometer for temp at this time.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Parasites.
Bottle Jaw starting, scours is from the overload, poor BCS, and the constant anemia all screams parasites.

I hope your girl makes it! It can be difficult to save them once it gets to this stage.
Definitely talk to your vet ASAP!

How much valbazen did you give?

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with GW. That's definitely a big parasite load. I would get a fecal asap.

Latest posts