Suggestions for clicker training my llamas

Jules Harrell

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have most of the great books out there, including Camelid Companion...and some good DVDs, John Mallon for example...I decided to try clicker training, and have ordered a clicker training book for dogs. Does anyone have experience with clicker training llamas? Do you have favorite books and videos? Thank you! Jules

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I know a lot of people have clicker trained their llamas but I haven't personally. That is great that you want to work with your llamas. You will have a much nicer relationship.

Jules Harrell

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, I am finally at home enough to spend some quality time with them. We also have a barn now for the first time, they have been in a hoop house hut for the past eight years...plus my catch pen was down as we did some refencing.

Catch pen is up, barn is up, llamas are approachable. Now of course with the weather, snow etc, I'm still figuring it out but spring is coming! So's my clicker.

Jules

countrychick95

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
As spring rolls around, I hope to start clicker training my llama too! I am so excited! I wish the best of luck to you, I'm sure it's not going to be easy! :thumbsup

Jules Harrell

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah, I am assuming the clicking means treat to the llamas. I haven't seen the books yet, nor have I ever seen it demonstrated.

Llamas are so complex and wonderful. I've had horses and goats, and the llamas are by far the most interesting. They are so simple to care for compared to horses, and safer to be around ... easier on the pasture. Cheaper to feed.

Yet they are smart enough to poop in communal piles. What other barnyard beast, besides the alpaca, does this?

Jules

Latest posts