Suggestions please, kid won’t take bottle

Isaac

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You can wean goat kids at a month easily. If our goat kids have been on the mother for a month we wean them then milk the mother. It doesn't pay to try and get it to take a bottle; it's impossible, they won't take a bottle if they have been eating off there mother. we had one that ate off her mother for only a few days, wouldn't take a bottle after that, pretty much weaned herself at One week; not good. She died a few months later. Hope this helps!

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You can wean goat kids at a month easily. If our goat kids have been on the mother for a month we wean them then milk the mother. It doesn't pay to try and get it to take a bottle; it's impossible, they won't take a bottle if they have been eating off there mother. we had one that ate off her mother for only a few days, wouldn't take a bottle after that, pretty much weaned herself at One week; not good. She died a few months later. Hope this helps!
Hey Isaac,
If you go back to the second post in this thread on page 1 from @Ridgetop, you will find amazing directions on how to transition a previously dam fed kid to the bottle. It’s been less than a week and Dash will now take the bottle without any forcing from me. If he can get to Dixie, his mom, he will still nurse as long as she will allow him or until I move him. He’s growing beautifully but he has always been a big boy. He weighed 4+lbs at birth. His mother’s illness never had an effect on him. He could probably have been just weaned but I want him to have all the nutrition that he needs. He willingly eats hay. I’ll most likely wean him to one bottle at 8 weeks then slowly take that one away by 12 weeks. Hopefully you’ll never need to transition a kid to bottle but if so, this thread contains incredible information.

Isaac

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey Isaac,
If you go back to the second post in this thread on page 1 from @Ridgetop, you will find amazing directions on how to transition a previously dam fed kid to the bottle. It’s been less than a week and Dash will now take the bottle without any forcing from me. If he can get to Dixie, his mom, he will still nurse as long as she will allow him or until I move him. He’s growing beautifully but he has always been a big boy. He weighed 4+lbs at birth. His mother’s illness never had an effect on him. He could probably have been just weaned but I want him to have all the nutrition that he needs. He willingly eats hay. I’ll most likely wean him to one bottle at 8 weeks then slowly take that one away by 12 weeks. Hopefully you’ll never need to transition a kid to bottle but if so, this thread contains incredible information.
That's awesome! Glad you got him to take the bottle. We pull ours as soon as they are born and start them on a bottle right away so we can milk the mother. He will definitely do better if he is weaned at 2 months. Glad you got it to work!