Sulmet? (Sulfamethazine Sodium)

Chicos Mama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Can you give Sulmet to goats for scours?
The label says for cattle and calfs,swine, turkeys, chickens and other fowl with scours...but nothing about goats for scours.
Its an Antibacterial drinking water solution.

My local feedstore does not carry Scour-Halt and she reccomended Sulmet...BUT added...she knows nothing about gaots:barnie
Chico is now on his 3rd day of the "runs"...stopped all grain, no temprature, and eating and drinking fine...Im confused.

His soup-butt smells VERY foul and is Very green.
Id rather ask than be sorry later about the Sulmet :hit
Please let me know...
Thanks!

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
All sulfa drugs are primarily for coccidiosis control. If coccidiosis is not the problem causing your goat to scour then sulmet would not fix anything. A shot in the dark? Yeah coccia might be the cause and then a sulfa drug might solve the scouring problem...But it would only be a guess without a proper diagnosis. Have you already tried Pepto? Green scours doesn't sound like coccidiosis to me...But again that is just a guess....
upon alittle more thinking you may want to see if you can lay your hands on some TMP/SMZ....Trimethoprim/Sulfaethoxazole...probably need a vets help but it is probably the best "shot in the dark" along with pepto

Chicos Mama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
O.K. heres the latest on Chico...
Still has scours...but its Brown now, not dark but not tan...just brown...not watery anymore but more like yogurt consistency (too discriptive?:hu)
Still eating and drinking great.
I am giving him pepto 3x a day, pro-biotics 3x a day, and witholding grain (hes not a happy camper! :rant)
Still no change in 3 days...So I bought some Sulmet and tried to give it to him in a water bottle...let me see if i can find an appropriate faces for that one! :sick :tongue now multiply that by 10...and you`ll get the visual of Chico!

So I did what any "good goat mama" would do... I tasted it myself to see what all the drama was about... I DONT RECOMMEND DOING THAT!!! :sick
Soooo... I made a gob of phone calls and found a Vet out here who works with Large animals AND makes house calls!! :celebrate
Getting a full check-up on all 3 goats tommorrow. He said it sounds like he could have Coci, but the other 2 goats are fine...so far. Test will let me know...I will keep everyone posted and Thank you all again for your wonderful advice!
Especially ()Relics and cmjust0 :bow :clap

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
When I have to give the goats sulfa-based meds, I use a drenching gun (they're less likely to spit it out / in your face) and give it to them straight, w/out mixing w/ anything....b/c when you do that, you're making a small bit of something that tastes AWFUL into a lot of something that still tastes awful.

If I had my choice of 3 cc of strong ick or 5 oz of weaker ick....I'd rather take the 3 cc...hope that made sense....

I've had particularly picky kids refuse a 20 oz bottle of milk that they LOVE b/c they tasted 3 cc of dimethox in it...

I read somewhere that it's more effective given straight so I've stopped trying to sneak it in their bottles, anyway.

And I know just how badly it tastes....I mix it from a powder and the powder sort of floats around when I dump it out....the dust settles on my face / lips and I'll lick them and make that same "icky taste face" you're describing....it really is awful stuff....worse than an aspirin melting on your tongue.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use Corid for cocci and just give it to them straight. It is such a small amount that the kids don't mind to much. I just use a syringe as that is all I have.

I hope your vet can shed some light on Chico. My buckling started to scour when I introduced grain, but cleared right up when I stopped the grain.

Also, one goat can get cocci and herd mates can be fine. Alot depends on age, the young are usually the hardest hit.

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
All goat have some level of coccidia present in their systems, suffice it to say if one of your goats have coccidia they all do as it is Extremely contagious.
Coccidiosis is the disease caused by the overpopulation of coccidia in a goats system. Kids are Highly suseptable especially during times of stress, weaning.
Coccidia levels can be monitored using fecal tests. If a dangerous level exsits a coccidiosis treatment is quick and to the point, the goat will be markedly better the second day of treatment. Coccidiosis is a goat killer, kids especially, and should be treated aggressively.
CoRid is not the preferred treatment. CoRid is a thiamine inhibitor, vitamin B1. Since thiamine is an essential vitamin in goats.....well for fear of offending anyone suffice it to say... Most Producers have swithched to a sulfa based drug, sulfadimethoxine for example...Confirm this with your vet.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
When I have to give the goats sulfa-based meds, I use a drenching gun (they're less likely to spit it out / in your face) and give it to them straight, w/out mixing w/ anything....b/c when you do that, you're making a small bit of something that tastes AWFUL into a lot of something that still tastes awful.
Agreed x1000. :thumbsup

There was a time when I was mixing 40% dimethox injectable with a really stout molasses/water mix and giving like 6ml of it.. (maybe 2ml of the med, 4ml of the molasses mix) and they STILL hacked and spit and gagged.

And, of course, in the process, they spit out a lot of what I'd just put down.

I don't do that anymore...now it goes down straight, squirted right on the back of their tongue. There's not enough of it for them to spit out, so they just kinda freeze for a minute...stop breathing...sling their heads...hack...cough...then breathe and make little "eh eh ehehehehheh" noises, etc...then run to mama for a little warm sweetmilk to wash it down.

:lol:

FWIW, I too have tasted dimethox. Had the teeniest bit on my thumb, touched the plunger end of a syringe with my thumb, then -- as I'm prone to do -- I stuck the plunger end of the syringe between my teeth to hold it as I was grabbing a goat.

Touched it with my tongue.

Really, really, REALLY gross. I totally understand why they hack and cough and carry on. :sick

Chicos Mama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Quick update...

Vet Changed the appointment to Friday morning after he called to check on Chico this morning and I told him he now has "soft-green" pellets... NO MORE SCOURS!!! :celebrate

I wonder if that dose of Sulmet is what stopped it? Pepto/Pro-biotics combo with no grain? Who knows...Either that or those Darn Vanilla wafers finally got out of his system?
Whatever it was Im Soooo Happy and so is his Hinney! :somad

Still having them all checked for the Cocci and a full run on anything else on Friday though...getting for winter to set in...I personally cant wait!
I will let you know how things turn out...Thanks again!

AND... Roll Farms? :old .... come `er and let Chico give you a slimmey kiss!... Your the Best! :love
2273_chico.jpg

Sunning themselves on THEIR blanket...I Told ya`ll they were Fat!
2273_fat_babies.jpg

Relaxing on my front deck...Chico, Violet & My lil` Lamancha "Bob"
2273_all_3.jpg

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
()relics said:
CoRid is not the preferred treatment. CoRid is a thiamine inhibitor, vitamin B1. Since thiamine is an essential vitamin in goats.....well for fear of offending anyone suffice it to say... Most Producers have swithched to a sulfa based drug, sulfadimethoxine for example...Confirm this with your vet.
I have not had to treat any of my goats for coccidia, knock on wood, only chickens. But when I had a buckling scour after getting a little too much grain for the first time I did ask my vet and Corid was what she told me to have on hand if I needed to treat. I also know that at the goat show last May there were 2 or 3 producers giving preventative doses of Corid to kids. I will ask my group next time we meet why Corid and not Sulmet, I am sure they will have an answer, be it right or wrong.

I did some looking around on the web after reading your post and it seems to be a mixed bag of opinions, and I have none. I tend to go with the idea that ANY med when over used has the potential to become dangerous and sometimes uesless. It seems that sulmet doesn't work in some areas and the Corid doesn't work in others. I am not sure about that as I didn't know that Cocci had built up a resistance to meds like worms have, but maybe they have. Heaven forbid.

Here is a quote from a person on another forum...just food for thought.
"Corid, depletes the cocci occysts ability to utilize thiamin in the goats system to move to adulthood...IT DOES NOT, unless overused cause thiamin/b1/polio in your goats. And anything, herbal wormers, chemical wormers, electrolytes, Fast Track, grain if given in enough amounts can destroy rumen flora and cause polio in your goat."

On the flip side I read a few posts where people claim their kids have died from the Corid treatments. So with that in mind it makes you think again about what has been done in the past and what should be done in the future.

Since I have not had goats in their current pen and pasture for more than 2 years I think that I have been lucky with the coccidiosis, even though my chicks get it on a regular basis. However, I am thinking that the longer I have goats the more likely it is that I will have a problem. I hate using meds for prevention, but that maybe the route I have to take.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'm confused....forgive me....

babsbag said:
I use Corid for cocci and just give it to them straight. It is such a small amount that the kids don't mind to much. I just use a syringe as that is all I have.
Followed by:

babsbag said:
I have not had to treat any of my goats for coccidia, knock on wood, only chickens. But when I had a buckling scour after getting a little too much grain for the first time I did ask my vet and Corid was what she told me to have on hand if I needed to treat.
:hu

My vet originally had me use corid to treat our kids...I did my own reading up later and decided to go w/ DiMethox instead.

Do what works for you, based on your own research....and if you have a suggestion for someone...fine...but I wouldn't post, "I use such and such" for a certain condition if you haven't actually used it w/ that species, for that illness.

"My vet suggested..." may have been a better thing to say....?

Latest posts