Sunflower Seeds to Horses?

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does anyone feed sunflower seeds to their horses? I just want to know if it's safe and if you do what the benefit is (if there is one) or if it's just for a treat. Thanks!

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, you can feed the black oil sunflower seeds to them. They are mostly an oil / fat supplement. I have gotten the ones meant for bird seed before and fed them.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I've heard it helps grow a shiny healthy coat, is that true? If it is then I might start feeding it to my elderly mare, who could use better hair, and she would do well with added fat as well.

Palomino

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I've heard it helps grow a shiny healthy coat, is that true? If it is then I might start feeding it to my elderly mare, who could use better hair, and she would do well with added fat as well.
Yes, I feed 1/4 cup per day of the Black Oil Sunflower Seeds to my minis. It definitely makes a difference in their coats. Their coats are not only shinier, their skin is healthier too.
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds are high in magnesium and a great source of the best kind of omega.

Last edited:

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It does if the coat's issues are a lack of oils (I think it is omegas but not positive). Is she having any issues eating? If so, I would toss the seeds in a blender for a few seconds before adding to her feed to crack the shells. If she doesn't chew them properly she probably won't be able to digest them so blending would help with that. I also wouldn't blend a large batch and feed from it for several days as unprocessed oils like that can go rancid fast once exposed to air and lose the good stuff.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It does if the coat's issues are a lack of oils (I think it is omegas but not positive). Is she having any issues eating? If so, I would toss the seeds in a blender for a few seconds before adding to her feed to crack the shells. If she doesn't chew them properly she probably won't be able to digest them so blending would help with that. I also wouldn't blend a large batch and feed from it for several days as unprocessed oils like that can go rancid fast once exposed to air and lose the good stuff.
Thanks guys. No she isn't, so I'd just give em whole

Latest posts