Suri vs. Huacaya

Rose Grey Alpaca

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What is the difference between the Suri alpaca and the Huacaya alpaca? Which one is friendlier? Gives more fiber?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Suri has the dredge lock fiber and Huacaya have the teddy bear look. I don't think one is more friendlier than the other. Alpacas are usually curious but standoffish.

NubianNerd

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Huacaya tends to have more dense fiber (they're the poofy looking ones) and are generally more solidly built robust critters. Alpacas in general are pretty hardy little guys, so don't let this make your decision for you. I've never noticed a personality difference. Suri can be more difficult to find, and they have those lovely silky shiny curly locks. Most alpacas are white, but you can find more color variety in Huacaya generally speaking.

As further illustration, here's a couple of Suris in full show coat, probably a year or two of growth. (they're not mine, by the way)
2012_634707723070580000.jpg

And a Suri in profile:
CandlewoodRocko1.jpg

Here's a nice little Huacaya
huacaya.jpg

I would make the decision based on which fiber you enjoy more and the quality of animals available to you. Personality varies on an individual basis and often depends on how they've been trained/socialized. Maintenance is pretty much the same unless you're showing. And they're all exorbitantly expensive; I recommend starting with fiber geldings, which you can often get more cheaply and are great animals.

I would recommend connecting with a local alpaca/camelid club or 4-H club. They'll usually go out of their way to be helpful and can help you get set up right.

Latest posts