Surprise!!!

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
Huge surprise this morning! Bonnie, our Nigerian Dwarf/Boer mix doe, decided to kid last night :th I checked them all before bed so she must have waiting for me to leave before pushing.... :smack
Two boys!

DSCN3884.jpg

DSCN3900.jpg

DSCN3893.jpg

Sophia and Beretta, looking at their new stall mates.
DSCN3901.jpg

ETA: Bonnie wasn't supposed to be due until January.... and although it's a huge surprise, it's welcome because January is a bad time to have kids here in NH.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wow, I love the black head. Is that hard to get or is it normal? Congrats. :celebrate Sorry to hear that they are boys or are you ok with that? Thanks for the pics. I noticed that your goats have horns, I had two goats that had horns. I was told by a couple of people around here, that you shouldn't leave them on. I thought that was a stupid comment, but what do you think?

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
Are you talking about the black head on Beretta or the new boys? Beretta's dad has a black head so that's where she got it, as for as the new boys, their father was black. It's hard to tell sometimes what colors you'll end up with! I'm okay with them being boys, they are going to be sold anyways and I'll probably wether them for pets. They are very curious and they seem to be quite friendly little guys :love Now I just have to tell myself "don't get attached... don't get attached..." :rolleyes:

As far as horns go, some people like them and some people don't! Personally I prefer the horns but I know lots of folks that won't own a goat with horns.

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
MrsDieselEngineer said:
Are you talking about the black head on Beretta or the new boys? Beretta's dad has a black head so that's where she got it, as for as the new boys, their father was black. It's hard to tell sometimes what colors you'll end up with! I'm okay with them being boys, they are going to be sold anyways and I'll probably wether them for pets. They are very curious and they seem to be quite friendly little guys :love Now I just have to tell myself "don't get attached... don't get attached..." :rolleyes:

As far as horns go, some people like them and some people don't! Personally I prefer the horns but I know lots of folks that won't own a goat with horns.
Actually both. So even if mom and dad both have a black head, it doesn't mean that the baby(s) will have one too? I am new to all this, so sorry for all the questions. :lol: Yeah, I bet that is hard to not get attached. How come you prefer the horns? I did like it when mine did, I had handles. :lol: So do you sell your babies with or without?

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
AWWWW ... :love what a sweet surprise !!! You could name one that !!! Wait ... they are both boys !! :ep

jmsim93

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Precious!!! I'm scared that's what going to happen to me in Feb...I'm a first timer and I'll probably miss it!!! LOL Congrats! They are beautiful.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I like the goats with horns. AND for those of you who are wondering what to do about the danger factor when handling them. USE bicycle grips. They screw right on and with some work they pull off.

1156_handlebar_grips.jpg

They are soft enough that if you get banged in the eye or belly it doesn't cause any damage and it really doesn't hurt. You can still get your hand caught between a pair of horns but if you are dumb enough to stick your hand between a goats horns, then well, you would probably stick your hand in their mouth too...

I don't advise using horns as handles. It's a good way to get your wrist or fingers broken. AND it teaches the animal to use his/her horns as a weapon. It also teaches them to whip their head away from you to avoid being snagged which makes the horns dangerous by default. Thus I put collars on my goats. With and without horns.

As to the question of goats getting the collars snagged? Well does your dog get his or her collar snagged? I think not. Just like dogs, goats learn young that if they have a collar, it is part of their body so they adapt.

OK, sorry, getting off my soapbox now.

Those babies are CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!

Latest posts