SustainableAg's Just Gettin' Started Journal

SustainableAg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Out of the frying pan and into the fire. I went to pick up the does yesterday, and discovered that they were not exactly what I was expecting. I was a bit shocked, because this is a well known farm in the area. They have their own farmers market and everything. The pictures of the girls look fine. But up close and in person, it is clear to me that they have lacked in some basic care.

Their coats scream that they need Copper boluses.
Their hooves haven't been trimmed in Lord knows how long. And much to my shock, Myrtle is heavily pregnant. This was not disclosed to me prior to pickup, which is outrageous. I have no idea when she is due. But it appears to be soon.

I am trying to get in to see my vet before I administer anything to these poor girls. My vet doesn't do farm calls, and it is a 30 minute drive to the Vet. I am worried about putting this mama back in the car, but my gut instinct tells me she has something going on- possibly pneumonia. No fever, but has a dry cough.

I am so invested in these girls. They will have a loving home here. I definitely feel like I rescued them. The barn they were in was gorgeous. But they were obviously not goat people.

I am concerned for Myrtle. I am hoping that there is a light at the end of this tunnel - and she and all of her babies will make it out of this.

Thankfully, I do not have any other goats on my property, so I am not risking exposure to other animals. They are in my insulated garage, out of the elements, with a deep layer of straw bedding. Rose is acting fine. Myrtle is eating well, and acting okay, but that occasional cough is troubling me.

ETA: Vet is supposed to call back tomorrow.

Last edited:

SustainableAg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm calling her Myrtle and company :rolleyes: 20230306_174252.jpg

SustainableAg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just received a call from my Vet office. They can't get them in until Friday, March 17th at 0930. Guess we will just sit tight and manage what comes up until then. Who knows, she may even have these kids by then.

The office said to monitor her cough and temperature, and if something gets worse to give them a call. Just hoping for a good outcome at this point.

Last edited:

Latest posts