SustainableAg's Just Gettin' Started Journal

SustainableAg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I have had an account here for several years, but have never been very active on this forum. With exciting new developments in my life, I finally have enough going on to contribute to this forum myself.

First and foremost, my name is Becca. I am 27, married to my hubby who I will call "C", and just had my first child last year - a son I will call "J". We live in Northeast PA.

As far as animals, currently we have chickens (Mostly Black Australorps and some various blue-green-cream egg layers), a Roman Tufted Goose who guards the chickens (his name is Gordon - like Gordon Ramsay because he yells a lot 😂), and a female German Shepherd named Liberty.

I am a horsewoman. I have been around horses for most of my life. I am truly not familiar with any other farm animal.

This Spring, my DH and I decided to build a small barn. The plan is to get a horse or two, and possibly a dairy animal (goats??). I gave away my first horse a year ago to my MIL when I found out I was pregnant. He needed work and I didn't feel comfortable around him while I was pregnant. So now on to my next horse adventure, with hopefully some better luck and a more honest person selling their horse. 🙄

I have been reading these forums trying to learn everything I can about goats. We are building a perimeter fence with 4 strands of High Tensile, so I will use a mobile fence for the goats to graze. I don't know what breed of goat we will decide on, or if we will decide to get them this year (or at all). But I am so excited for all of the possibilities!

My DH is familiar with horses, but leaves the horsey things to me. His mom is a proper equestrian, so he has always been around horses, but has no interest in riding. Horses are my happy place. But he always helps when asked. I have a great partner.

I look forward to taking you all along on our journey to work the land, work with animals, and enjoy the peace that only homesteading can bring to your soul. This is the way I always envisioned raising my children. I am excited to finally get started, and among all of the ups and downs, watch our dreams come to fruition.

Attachments

• 20220309_145757.jpg
    20220309_145757.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 90

SustainableAg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have decided to forge ahead and buy goats! There are two breeders that I am considering purchasing from. They both have 2nd and 3rd freshener does available (trained to the milking stand and hand milking for families) as well as several doelings. Since this is my first experience with goats, I wanted to get older, proven does so at least one of us knows what we are doing! Ha.

I already have an established relationship with a large animal vet - thanks to my (previous) horse - and she is also experienced with goats. So I have a good team behind me as a goat newbie.

Now I am just trying to decide between registered Mini Nubians, and registered Nigerian Dwarfs. I love the looks of the Mini Nubians, but the breeder is 3 ½ hours away. The Nigerian Dwarfs are much closer to my location, about 50 minutes. The decision might come down to the logistics of getting the goats here.

Either way, I am very excited!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Get the closest goats. Then you have back up not too far away. Congratulations on finding such nice goats so close!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya know, either of those breeds can travel in an SUV. 😁

I suggest you go milk one of the NDs...taste their milk (seller will have some chilled). Be sure you like both behavior and milk, since that's why you're buying. Consider ones you want from there.....go to further farm and repeat. If further farm your choice be prepared to buy right then. If not, well, NDs are only an hour away.

Of course, first trip to NDs may be perfect and you buy there. 🤣. Just be sure to buy TWO, they like friends. Let us know what you get.

Oh, we want pictures!!!! 🤗. Goats are an exiting adventure. I have 16 adults...babies increasing daily right now😂

SustainableAg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The beginning of our goat journey! With a bit more waiting and some research, I found someone closer who has registered Mini Nubians. They have a great website that shows all of their Does and Bucks, lists their Dams/Sires, and their kids that are currently for sale. They also list their current negative test results for CAE/CL/Johnes/Brucellosis.

I have been talking to the owner for several days, and she is very supportive of my newbie status! I feel very welcomed by her, and I am definitely comfortable buying doelings from her. I picked out the two doelings that I want, and she also offered me a proven doe that she was thinking about selling because they are not getting the milk output from her that they want. We are not looking to push for production, so she will be coming home with us as well. She will also be transporting the goats for us. She is a Saint!

The Nigerian Dwarf breeder I had been talking to was discouraged by my beginner status, and didn't want to sell her goats to me. Understandable, I suppose. But in the meantime I absolutely fell in love with the Mini Nubians, and found this other breeder. Must have been fate!

The doelings are F6 Mini Nubians, born 1/26/2022 and 2/7/2022. The older doe is also F6, born 2019. I will post pictures as soon as she gives me her info for a deposit. I don't like to count my chick's before they hatch. The younger doeling will be ready to go 4/18/22, so all three goats will be transported to us after that date.

We are so very excited! I never thought I would own goats - but these Mini Nubians completely stole my heart. We have a prefabricated barn being delivered in late Spring - and apparently I am determined to fill it already. 😂 Thank God my DH is an animal lover too!

SustainableAg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh! I forgot the most important part. Now we have to think of names for these doelings! Naming is always the hardest part for me - it feels like such a commitment!
As soon as I post pics of the doelings you will all have to give suggestions! I have a list of names, but none have jumped out at me yet.

SustainableAg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have been talking to someone about their buckling as a herd sire for my does. I was just informed that his upper lip is swollen. The vet exam showed nothing else unusual. He is a happy, healthy buckling with a swollen upper lip. This Buckling is well bred, and it is unfortunate to have to pass on him. The vet treated with a round of antibiotics and steroids, but there was no change to his swollen lip. The Vet admitted that she doesn't know what the problem might be, since it did not respond to treatment. Orf was ruled out.

It is not known if he was born like this. The owner noticed it when he was 1 day old.

This is very disappointing. But I don't want a herd sire with an unknown ailment.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Last edited:

Latest posts