SW Iowa

steerrider

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
HI! I just joined this forum today. Im from SW Iowa, and raise and show Longhorns. I also ride my steers and do everything with them you can do with a horse. I even longride with them. Thats actually my favorite thing. Steers can go about 25 miles a day, and that works for me. ;)
Below are some photos of me with Freedom, my very favorite steer.
I also use my cows for home milk, and in buggy.

Wallybow2.jpg

freedom.ride.crop.jpg

J

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome! I had no idea steer riding even existed. The photo of the jumper is a hoot!

(But I will NOT be attempting to ride my Scottish Highlands, LOL.)

:)

pokacow

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome! Your steer is beautiful! I had no idea you could ride them, much less for long distances! Love the coloring. Do they ride like a horse rythm? Do you have to do anything special to their feet? Is that like a hackamore or is there a bit? Inquiring mind wants to know! Jody

steerrider

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you all for such a warm welcome.
To answer the questions steers are actually easier and smoother than horses. I grew up in a horse family and even went to collage for them. Now Im in love with the cattle. As for a bit, check out my webpage I made here, and you will see a photo showing the bit we use.
thank you for the comploments, I will tell Freedom someone liked him.. it always makes him smile.

Laskaland

Just born
Reaction score
steerrider said:
HI! I just joined this forum today. Im from SW Iowa, and raise and show Longhorns. I also ride my steers and do everything with them you can do with a horse. I even longride with them. Thats actually my favorite thing. Steers can go about 25 miles a day, and that works for me. ;)
Below are some photos of me with Freedom, my very favorite steer.
I also use my cows for home milk, and in buggy.

http://osr.netfirms.com/Wallybow2.jpg

http://osr.netfirms.com/freedom.ride.crop.jpg

J
What a beautiful animal!! Where are you at in Iowa? I am in
sort of N. Central Nebraska.

Hugs
Christina

ARose4Heaven

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am new to this forum...have become addicted to the Backyardchicken.com site.

Steer Rider, are you the one always advertising on Craig's list? We went to the auction a few times, seems like longhorns don't sell well in Iowa. Too bad, they look like a lot of meat on em.

Are they real hard on fences? Those horns scare me, but sure looks like you enjoy yours.

We just started our herd, mostly Holstein steer calves, but did pick up a heifer and bull angus to do our breeding.

ARose4Heaven

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
oops...I am just so anxious to get into the community. I am nearly 50 but feel like a 2o something just getting started on the farming life this year. It is all so much FUN. My hubby grew up on a cattle farm, so he just shakes his head at my enthusiasm. Silly man.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
ARose4Heaven said:
oops...I am just so anxious to get into the community. I am nearly 50 but feel like a 2o something just getting started on the farming life this year. It is all so much FUN. My hubby grew up on a cattle farm, so he just shakes his head at my enthusiasm. Silly man.
It's alright. You wouldn't know that she hasn't been around for a while and I didn't want you waiting around for an answer from her. :)

I'm glad you are enjoying the farm life!