Sweetened's 2016 kidding thread

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
l never thought Id post another one of these threads, but here I am, and with dwarves to boot!

I wouldnt purposefully breed for January, but an American registered buck got loose with the girls and wouldnt stay out. The owners, who were getting out of goats, more or less gave up trying to keep him penned. These 4 girls are bred Pholia Farm UB Pendelton, and his pedigree can be seen on some American goat registry, though I cant remember which.

Any thoughts on who you think will kid first? How about how many each has in there!

Friendly reminder: please forgive typos and picture quality, from my phone.

Lavender - drops trips or quads, will only raise two, guessing she will have triplets and deliver second.

tmp_5016-20151221_081958-11530288986.jpg

Poplar - delivers twins. My guess is second last

tmp_5016-20151221_082051-1165749405.jpg

Daisy - delivers trips, usually, has had quads. Im guessing triplets, delivering last. She is the smallest doe.

tmp_5016-20151221_082106-1-1230304083.jpg

The amazing mystery Gardenia. Im guessing trips or quads and going to deliver first. She was a regular quadder before her bad kidding, ff to triplets. Sometimes she looks MASSIVE and she is very uncomfortable. Her udder is progressing still. Fingers crossed for healthy kids from her, would love love love a doeling or two.

tmp_5016-20151221_081918-1809673846.jpg

Guess the pink and blue too if youd like. And hey, if you have a 2016 kidding thread im not following yet, link me to it!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gardenia is either first or has a litter in there or maybe both. She is HUGE. It is hard tell as to order of kidding without the udder shots, that is usually the give away for me. Thankfully I have dates on all of mine this year but one and that is really good thing as guessing kidding dates on 26+ does would make me crazy.

The goat registry is probably ADGA. American Dairy Goat Association. Pholia Farms has nice goats...are you getting the buck?

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Everyone is putting milk in their bag now, no one was cooperating! Everyonr was being spooky yesterday because the pup was out and hes overly curious.im not getting pendelton, mind you, I know who has him. He was WAY out of my price range. I have a couple pictures of him under reference animals at http://www.steadfastfarm.ca/large-livestock.html . Price aside, at the time we suspected he had gotten the two young doelings as well but it doesnt seem like it. I think they are pregnant, but not due until March, which would make them Beaus. Its killing me not knowing their due dates! Im so used to hand breeding. I will be keeping a buckling out of this group, maybe two, because of thise genetics. I will do everything i can to make selections on doelings. I would love to keep them all through first freshening and pick from there. I guess i can keep them until fall, the number I keep would go up if we were able to get our own haying equipment. Regardless, as long as everyone has a doe, ill be keeping one as replavements as these girls are all 7, 8, and 9 years of age. I will keep ALL doelings off gardenia. Anyone who can come back from what she went through and have kids despite a vet doing treatments for years and saying itll never happen, thats vitality and the ability to heal that I want in my herd.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Following! I love gardenias story! I'm gonna guess 5 for her in there. I'm going to say she'll throw 3 does, 2 bucks to boot!

Lavender I'm guessing 4. 3 bucks 1 doe
And daisy I'm gonna go with quads too. All does.
For poplar, I'm gonna say one buck one doe.

Hehe I love these threads!

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess for those who havent seen Gardenia's story on my other threads, I should post it here.

Gardenia was given to me for free when I bought other herd members, as she was just a super friendly doe who hadnt kidded in 4 years. She was a quadder, an excellent mother and milker who, on her 4th freshening, aborted very late term kids. What appeared to have happened was the rear kid had died days, perhaps a week prior, killing the other kids in sequence until she finally aborted. All but one had to be pulled.

She came back into heat intermitently, bred each time , but never settled. For almost 3 years, she was treated for infections, fibroids etc. To no avail, even left in with the bucks for a whole year and no results. Then, finally, a year after they stopped trying, a spry, highly fertile buckling got in there and did his business!

I can only hope the kids are healthy and well formed and carried to term! Oh and that its not all fat lol!!

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lavender I'm guessing 4. 3 bucks 1 doe
And daisy I'm gonna go with quads too. All does.
For poplar, I'm gonna say one buck one doe.

Hehe I love these threads!

This is exactly what poplar and lavender gave last year. I am thinking only twins for daisy. Shes such a small goat and shes about the same size, belly wise, as poplar. Who is bigger... so i guess maybe!

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm following too. :)

Wow, Gardenia's huge! :eek: I think she will be the first to kid.

Last edited: