Sweetened's 2016 kidding thread

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Man... what else can be said? :hit:hugs You did NOT need this! My deepest sympathies Sweetened. Truly wishing you nothing but the best for the rest of your does. Don't beat yourself up over this as it was not your fault and you went over and above to try and help her.

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So sorry about Gardenia and her buckling - it brought tears to my eyes. :hugs:hugs You have been through a lot with your herd and you do such a remarkable job. It is clear how much you care about them - you are an awesome goat mama! Btw, didn't get a chance to say so before, but Lav's doeling is absolutely beautiful!

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice and knowledge offered here. I hope this thread is stumbled upon in the future by people looking for answers.

I am broken, and I should have followed my gut and stayed out of goats. Sometime last night, Lavs doeling went down. For anything else that goes wrong here now, there are zero funds for a vet. We will likely lose this kod if we cant get her to suckle. I have nothing here small enough to tube her with and no paste or bose injections.

In addition, I have a screaming baby who wont sleep. It was a mistake staying in goats.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
oh Sweetened, i know you are drained by the events of yesterday. i am so sorry. i know you are exhausted and you know that your daughter is upset because she feels your tension. it will get better i promise. I'm hoping for the best with the baby doe. before you give up take some time to get past this. can you get milk into her with just a syringe? very slowly and stroking her throat to stimulate her swallow reflex. i am praying for you.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me injectable dose of selenium on 2lbs, 13.5oz?

Itll likely be cattle injectable that i get hold of. Is it intramuscular or iv? Where is best?

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping for the best with the baby doe. before you give up take some time to get past this. can you get milk into her with just a syringe? very slowly and stroking her throat to stimulate her swallow reflex. i am praying for you.

X2!

The syringe can sometimes work in place of tubing - I had to do it a couple of years ago with a doeling born too early. Like Goatgurl mentioned, try to get past this before deciding to give up on goats. It is your decision, and a very personal one at that. Goodness knows you've had a crazy, painful time with things the last two years, but know that part of what is making this so difficult for you is what makes you such a good goat mama - you care. That said, you also know what's best for you and your family, and all of us here support you in whatever you decide to do. :hugs