Sweetened's 2016 kidding thread

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
just got back from taking trash down. Wednesday=trash day. one small walmart bag, not worth the trip but needs done so away i go.
i use mu-se for my goats simply because my vet was out of bo-se at the time. you give 1/2cc per 100# so if my math is right you would give 0.015 cc for 3#. tiny, tiny amount. and i give it im or sq. good luck with the doeling.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope all is well with the doeling.....

I though I posted this before but I must have gotten interrupted.

When you said that she knew what to do with the bottle I was a little concerned. I have pulled and bottle raised several different breeds of goats, the ND's are always the hardest to get on the bottle here. Have another friend that raises Mini manchas and ND's. Again- whenever she needed to give a bottle they were always the hardest. They never would just take the bottle the first time- we always had to gently force it on them several times before they realized it was food. Once they have latched onto momma's teat, it is very hard for me to get them to accept a bottle.

If she just took the bottle I don't think she is getting enough, if any, milk/colostrum from momma doe.

She may need some BOSE, but if she went from a nice, robust, healthy kid to down in that fast of a time frame I would suspect a feeding issue, got chilled, or injury. Have you given her anything to give her a boost? Molasses? Strong Coffee? Drench? Corn syrup? We usually keep a paste called Jumpstart plus here when kidding time comes. It worked fantastic for my set of quads last year- rough birth and one of the kids wasn't looking good. I don't know what you have up there but something similar is a good thing to have on hand.

Was the doeling's mouth cold? Did you take her temp?
Some of these kids can go without milk longer than you think as long as they are warm (like by a heater in the house warm) and you are able to syringe feed her something to give a small amount of energy. If you can get a small amount of something to give her a boost they will usually regain their want to suckle.

Its been a while since you have updated. I hope the doeling is still with you and you & baby have gotten some rest :hugs

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks, @goatgurl. By the time I saw this I had already dosed at the ag stores recommendation of 1/4cc. So far so good. Back legs seem to be working right again, standing, walking, eating, drinking, pooping, peeing. @Goat Whisperer, she was warm, mouth was warm, she was under the heat lamp on her own, i think a combo of not being fed and a selenium defficiency. I remember noting it last year on Gretels kids. I have it on hand now, its bose, but called Selen-e here and avaipable at the feed store. Lavender doesnt care that shes gone, hasnt looked or bawled for her. She will be freezer fodder once I dont need her milk. Only producing on one half and the other side is just bright red milk. Too bad, what she has left is a gorgeous udder.

tmp_3303-20160106_154752-1920552029.jpg

tmp_16262-20160106_123102-1920552029.jpg

Daisy is up next. Went from no bag to (w)ho(le) bag since this morning. No ligs since then as well. She will drop kids on me at some ungodly hour of the night Im sure.

Poplar is still solid as a rock on those ligs.

Latest posts