Swine pox & edible pork

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I was just informed by someone that I was going to buy a 2 1/2 month old pig from that it appears to have swine pox. I'm trying to do research on it to find out if it's safe to get it and raise it for meat. I can find nothing regarding this, either on this site or others after googling it.
I know that it is incurable and the pig will develope an immunity to it eventually, but being that I'm raising it for meat, there's a chance it could still have it at processing time, right?
I also know that it can be caused by lice and poor sanitary conditions, but I have not yet been to this farm, so I can't say if that's an issue or not. This, in turn, can cause the pig not to gain weight. Obviously, this is counter-productive to my purpose.
HELP, please!

19disbre

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He will not really gain weight until he develops an immunity, then it will take him 2 or 3 months to reach size, I would say you'd be perfectly safe to eat it especially if its cooked throughly. But I would want to introduce it to your "Clean" farm or you will forever have problems

Latest posts