Swollen eye 19 yr old mare

JustJen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
IMG_5757.JPG
I went out at checked my horses this morning and my mare has a pretty swollen eye, there are a lot of wild fires going on right now, and we have pretty heavy smoke and some ash falling. Could this be the cause? If so how do I help relieve the irritation? If not what could it be, and what are possible treatment options? I don't see any foreign object, her eye is watery but there isn't any real discharge. Thanks in advance.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She could have gotten ash in her eye. You might flush it out with room temperature water in a syringe. Immediately after hurricane Ike, I had a mare with her eye swollen shut. Probably hit by flying debris, I flushed it out several times and in a few days it was better.

JustJen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you Hens and Roos for directing my question to someone that had advice. Baymule, I have been rinsing it and the swelling has started to reduce by quite a bit. Thank you.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so glad that she is getting better! We have to take care of our old friends. The blue eye in my avatar belongs to Joe's Tuff Bars, my 28 year old cremello QH gelding and the love of my life.

Is your mare an Appaloosa? A full picture please?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A story about Joe and his buddy Trip

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/danger-snake.33496/

I had @samssimonsays do a pencil drawing of this picture and presented the drawing to my husband for his Christmas Present.

FullSizeRender (8).jpg

I went walking through our woods one day and saw Joe all stretched out. I thought he was dead! I ran to him and he raised up, plainly annoyed that I disturbed his nap. LOL

Joe Laying Down.JPG

JustJen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
IMG_5784.JPG
IMG_5788.jpg
Baymule, I adore the story. :) the two of them are just too cute!
I have had Rosie do the death sleep a couple of times to me, it's always unnerving. She is a red roan pony. A bit overweight, she gets put on a diet every spring. I swear she eats one blade of grass and gains 20 pounds.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rosie is beautiful! She sure looks like a varnish roan Appaloosa, maybe she is a Pony of America? She is a doll and I can see why you are so crazy about her.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like she's got some POA in there to me too. The mottled skin around her eyes is a characteristic. I was trying to see if she had striped hooves - another App and/or POA characteristic. Whatever she is - she is sure a cutie!