T-post Spacing

Farmerdad

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to put up a new pen for my incoming buck. I was thinking of using hog panels with t-posts. Question is how far apart (or close together) do I need to put the posts? Is there anything else I should consider? Will hog panels with t-posts be sufficient?

D

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hog panels aren't very tall, what breed is your buck? I think you said pygmy, if so, he probably can't jump out. Maybe. Never had goats so not a good judge of how high they can jump. LOL I use cow panels and find that one on each end and one in the middle is sufficient.

Farmerdad

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Nigerian dwarves so not quite pigmy. I'm mostly concerned about weight/ pressure. A goat will lay his entire body weight and then some against the fence "scratching an itch." Personnaly, I think they paid to demolish fencing but they keep swearing its just an itch.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My hair sheep love to rub on fences too. And trees. And truck bumpers. And the slide on the granddaughters swing set. LOL

Ok put a T-post on each end and spaced evenly, 2 in the middle. That should be fine.

caprines.n.me

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Head stuckage is definitely a thing with horned goats. If you want to keep your goats from rubbing on the fence ya might consider running a hotwire. It takes all the fun out of fence rubbing for the goat.