Take a look at my new Boer Buck - Be honest but polite

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I added this to my Journal, but did not get a lot of feedback. Just curious what everyone thinks. Did I make a good purchase?

I had a heck of a time finding a buck to use for breeding. Several persons had one available, but I was not pleased with the care of their animals and could not imagine leaving my doe there for even a day. So I searched and found a farm about 1 hour away and picked up RIMFIRE (he is 75% but not registered). His full brother (twin) is spotted and his mom typically has kids with spots. Spots or not, I think he is beautiful. He is still timid and afraid, but after his first week, is starting to warm up. He is just over 7 months.

w20121116_Remfire_Face_2.jpg
w20121116_Remfire_Face_1.jpg

w20121116_remfire_9.jpg
w20121116_Remfire_7.jpg

I opted for a Boer because my nubian is not registered and I am wanting some meat babies. I plan to sell the offspring as pets or as meet and then going to use the funds to purchase a nice Registered Nubian Buckling, (road trip to Indiana?) this spring to breed Libby and Tilly (my 50% registered Nubians) in the fall. Today, Nina (my nubian) was showing signs of heat, so I put her in with Rimfire. He went right to her, she stood still and they are very happy. I am going to leave her in with him for a few weeks just to be sure and also so he has some company.

w20121116_Remfire_Nina_8.jpg

I am going to also breed Daisy my alpine / boer cross, but will be pulling her babies and bottle feeding from Ninas milk as Daisy is positive for CAE. As of 11/21/2012 - Have decided not to breed Daisy. She will remain here as a pet.

w20121116_Daisy_3.jpg

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was told by a breeder that CAE is not spread by milk only but will spread from goat to goat just by contact because it can spread in the mucus and since they share water and rub on each other it is only a mater of time before one positive doe infects the whole herd.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oakroot said:
I was told by a breeder that CAE is not spread by milk only but will spread from goat to goat just by contact because it can spread in the mucus and since they share water and rub on each other it is only a mater of time before one positive doe infects the whole herd.
That I have not heard. I will need to do some more research.

However, for this thread, I would like to stick with feedback on the buck.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
He's a very thick boy. You should definitely get some 'meaty' babies from that cross. :thumbsup

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
He's a very thick boy. You should definitely get some 'meaty' babies from that cross. :thumbsup
Did you pick up on the Road Trip to Inidiana for a Nubian Buck. I am starting now to soften up my wife for a weekend away and if we happen to pick up a nice looking Nubian buck on the way, well so be it. ;)

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
He is very thick and he looks to be very nice. His entire head structure, eyes, nose, etc. looks very nice. He has nice thick legs and a good belly on him. I say you did good.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Nice thick body, straight clean topline. Looks to have a nice deep wide chest. Legs look in good proportion to his chest. He seems to be a fair size for his age. I love his color. His ears hang pretty straight and his horns look to be well place on his head.

I can't see his backside so I can't speak to his hindquarters. How was his mom for milk/mothering and teats? And what was his father like? Temperament? Body build? Color, etcetera?

ksj0225

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The poster is the owner... the poster BOUGHT the buck....

As to the original post. Looks pretty nice for 7 months old!