taking a trailer when looking for a forever horse

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I have quickly found a haflinger I want to go see. But he is 4 hours away. I talked to my Mom and she's all for going to see him and taking the trailer.... on the other hand my husband always wants me take things slow so we find another horse that will be forever. I do know I am impulsive and definitely have regretted getting certain horses. The owner is also a trainer and sounds very attached, she wants a good home also. Stated she's not in a rush. Of course she could be blowing smoke in my ear also. Though she did call me 1st thing yesterday and we had a long conversation. Definitely connected. She mentioned she needs to get his Coggins updated, and mentioned she could potentially evaluate if he has been driven before. I want to wait for these things,because we do want to drive.... but it's not a deal breaker if he doesn't. Have my minis to drive also. I am inclined that dispite the 4 hour drive to go see him without the trailer and just a deposit..... he has foundered but is currently barefoot.
Trying not to jump the gun but hate to miss an opportunity. It's been forever since I have been horses shopping. Usually end up being given one or trading...
oh and there may be a poa we could "borrow" from some friends. Need find out size though.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would go without the trailer, if you fall in love, put down a deposit. That will give time for a Coggins test to be drawn and results mailed back. You don't want to travel that far with no Coggins test paper results.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Plus the trailer makes you look eager, could be a better price can be had if they know you have to come back and could change your mind. But I do understand the desire to NOT make a second 8 hour trip!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
What? You mean folks don't just jump in the truck that gets 12 miles to the gallon and go galavantin off on a trip into the great unknown for the sole purpose of seeing if they want to make the trip out and back a second time a short while later? Well, I guess that's not the sole purpose... I mean if the second trip becomes a reality, then you can also plan on leaving a bunch of money at the termination point... not once, but TWICE?!?! Oh, and did I mention that the second trip would also include towing a livestock/horse trailer and lowering the MPG by, oh, say, 4 MPG and adding extra time in both directions due to speed restrictions?

Really... I'd bring the trailer and park it in town before you go to look at the horse. If you buy it, it's a short round trip back to town to get the trailer. You have the psychological advantage of not feeling like you "have" to buy the animal because you SEE the trailer that you towed all that way attached to the back of the truck. And, the seller sees that you didn't bring the trailer, so not feeling like YOU'LL feel obligated to buy the horse, hence giving you some sales price leverage.

Convoluted, yes, but my logic.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would go without the trailer, if you fall in love, put down a deposit. That will give time for a Coggins test to be drawn and results mailed back. You don't want to travel that far with no Coggins test paper results.
What bay said, if you are crossing state lines, it's a pretty good bet you need a Coggins before you can bring him home anyway. I can't think of any state that allows you to bring in an outside horse without a CVI and a coggins test. I believe NY state even requires you have a current coggins to travel a horse within the state (within the last 12 months). Problem is, the Coggins isn't an over night test, it takes a couple of days to get the results back, so your trip down with a trailer might be for nothing.
You can generally get away with it in most states if you don't leave the state to not have a Coggins drawn - like here, unless I go to TX, they don't care if I take my horse anywhere without a current coggins, but if I leave the state, I better have it with a health inspection.

Also, as you already know with horses that have foundered, that's very buyer beware. You know it's a life-long management after they've foundered once and it can recur.

Personally, I'd leave the trailer at home, go check him out, and if you like him, put down a deposit. If not, you're only out some gas money anyway.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually Indiana is very lax on coggins.... or at least most people I know. Since its not required on instate horses they ignore that it's required over the state line. But yes I agree particularly since she's more than willing I want it done. We are waiting for a photo of his sole on his bad foot that had rotation and a video, then we will decide if we will go see him. Owner is more than willing to hold (even without a deposit ) until she gets him legal to go. She's been very good about answering questions completely and really seems just get him a good home.
I have inquired about some others so far nothing else fits our needs. Yes I am being picky.... really do want to find a forever horse.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
What? You mean folks don't just jump in the truck that gets 12 miles to the gallon and go galavantin off on a trip into the great unknown for the sole purpose of seeing if they want to make the trip out and back a second time a short while later? Well, I guess that's not the sole purpose... I mean if the second trip becomes a reality, then you can also plan on leaving a bunch of money at the termination point... not once, but TWICE?!?! Oh, and did I mention that the second trip would also include towing a livestock/horse trailer and lowering the MPG by, oh, say, 4 MPG and adding extra time in both directions due to speed restrictions?

Really... I'd bring the trailer and park it in town before you go to look at the horse. If you buy it, it's a short round trip back to town to get the trailer. You have the psychological advantage of not feeling like you "have" to buy the animal because you SEE the trailer that you towed all that way attached to the back of the truck. And, the seller sees that you didn't bring the trailer, so not feeling like YOU'LL feel obligated to buy the horse, hence giving you some sales price leverage.

Convoluted, yes, but my logic.

Actually I like your logic!

Not that I condone breaking laws but I'm curious how anyone would know that you brought a horse across the state line without requisite testing? No border crossing gates right?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well your vet might notice if you have a new horse and incorrect paperwork? I don't know, I don't mess with livestock laws due to them being able to take your animals if you mess with the wrong ones.

I would ask for the coggins test results and then schedule a visit once you're happy with the results and photos, etc, go up with the trailer. Sure you can leave it somewhere but trailers are kind of easy to steal. And showing up with a trailer isn't a big deal, better than a second 8 hour day.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have bought horses without a Coggins and gone short distances with no Coggins. But when we moved 2 years ago, I got them Coggins tests and didn't load them up until I got papers in hand. It was 170 miles and any state trooper, deputy or police in any town or county could have stopped my son for any reason and asked to see the Coggins test. Too far to go without proper paper work.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Actually I like your logic!

Not that I condone breaking laws but I'm curious how anyone would know that you brought a horse across the state line without requisite testing? No border crossing gates right?

Not all states, but a lot of the western states have port of entries and all livestock trailers are required to pull over and show their paperwork - just like truckers have to pull over at weigh stations. Arizona has this on I10 coming in - you have to pull over, show them your health certificate and current coggins (and used to be hauling cards but they did away with that for horses quite awhile back, though you still need them for cattle). You can haul in state all you want without either there, but if you go out of the state at all, you're not coming back in without it. Of course, we also have border patrol checkpoints and there's definitely potential for getting busted at those.

Considering that EIA (what a Coggin's test is for) is highly contagious, and horses that get it have it for life or are put down, it's not unreasonable.

Me personally, a horse that has foundered with a rotation would be one I wouldn't consider. A mild case of founder, yeah it'll grow out and can be managed, but a rotation indicates that it was not a mild case whatsoever. It is likely that if he foundered again, you'll be left with an ugly situation and a lot of heartbreak.

Here's a pretty good link: http://www.ahf-laminitis.org/p/faq.html

I know I sound discouraging, but I think all points considered and your want for a forever horse, it is something you need to evaluate very carefully to avoid the situation of having a forever horse that you can't ride, needs tons of expensive corrective shoeing, and may be in chronic pain.
What might do you best other than photos and a video, is asking for the x-rays from the vet. If they didn't get xrays, they honestly don't know how bad it was or wasn't. I'd take a copy of those xrays to my own vet and have them evaluate. I also believe TX A&M will eval them for you - I'd call and ask.